Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[SOLVED] How to Simulate Designs with L=50um

Status
Not open for further replies.

rmanalo

Advanced Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello Everyone,

I'm trying to simulate the Design from the paper in [1] using HSPICE. The attached are the sizes and schematic of the design.

Sizes.PNGschematic.PNG

In HSPICE the max limit for L is 20um but the design uses 50um. How do I simulate this in HSPICE?

[1] L. Magnelli, et. al., "A 2.6 nW, 0.45 V Temperature Compensated Subthreshold CMOS Voltage Reference," IEEE J. Solid-State Circuits, vol. 46, no. 2, pp.465-474, Feb. 2011.

Best Regards,
rmanalo

Connect three MOSFETs of L=50um/3=16.7um in series.

thank you for the reply, correct me if I'm wrong but wouldn't that increase the minimum supply voltage? (I'm thinking connecting three MOSFETs in series would mean having three times the drain-to-source voltage) Additionally all the transistors operate in subthreshold region. I'm not sure about the operation of composite transistors in this region.

I'm thinking connecting three MOSFETs in series would mean having three times the drain-to-source voltage
Draw the layout of the 3 series transistor, you will see it is equivalent with one longer device, total Vds will be the same.
Additionally all the transistors operate in subthreshold region. I'm not sure about the operation of composite transistors in this region.
Not all of the series devices will operate in the same region, bottom devices will be in triode region, but the whole transistor will have very similar electrical properties as one long device.

You might check where this limit is imposed, there may
be checkboxes (GUI) or flag-variables (SPICE) that will
defeat the error checking. You could also"take the
models private" and edit whatever is the problem -
difference between L=20 and L=50 is probably benign,
and could be sanity-checked in simulation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back