Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

FPGA development Kit

Status
Not open for further replies.

alikhan968

Newbie level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello guys!
I want to make an FPGA kit which has cyclone V CEFA9F27I7N chip and a desktop Ram socket. I didn't design any FPGA board before but i have experience in pcb designing. So if any one guide me what circuits should i need to make these both main components works. thanks

Always search for PCB Design User Guides for both: FPGA chip and desktop Ram socket.
E.g. for any Xilinx's FPGAs there is always a PCB Design User Guide document.

Always search for PCB Design User Guides for both: FPGA chip and desktop Ram socket.
E.g. for any Xilinx's FPGAs there is always a PCB Design User Guide document.

Thanks for your reply, I will try to find out something like that.

You could also download the schematic of any Xilinx made board, with the bom for that board. All the Xilinx branded development kits have schematics, so you'll see what the Xilinx engineers required on their boards to make the FPGA work. It will also give you a good idea how the point of load power supplies should be done.

Haven't looked at Altera in years so don't know if they still have schematics of their boards for download too.

You could also download the schematic of any Xilinx made board, with the bom for that board. All the Xilinx branded development kits have schematics, so you'll see what the Xilinx engineers required on their boards to make the FPGA work. It will also give you a good idea how the point of load power supplies should be done.

Haven't looked at Altera in years so don't know if they still have schematics of their boards for download too.

I saw a BOM documents for cyclone V GX. Actually i need for cyclone V E. So if you can guide me. It will be very helpful. Thanks for your reply.

Unfortunately Xilinx's development kits PCBs are sometimes incompatible with actual and official Xilinx's PCB Design User Guide.
It is important to read the last release of it.
I'm not familiar with Altera's products so I can't help much.

... but of course development kits schematics and PCBs are helpful too.

When you say "desktop Ram socket" does that mean you want the FPGA on a ram style PCB which fit int a RAM socket? (like a SOM)

Something like **broken link removed**

or a "stamp" which fits into PLCC socket https://www2.hdl.co.jp/en/press-release-list-2017/17g0058.html

I have been looking to make a board with the 5CEFA9F23C7N (only 484 BGA) my goal was to have it on a 4 layer PCB since I only need a few IO and JTAG + QSPI Flash + 1.1V reg

With the A9 are if you use all 301K the LE in the chip for mostly pipeline on fmax and have action on every clk you will need heat-sink + fan and a high current 1.1 V reg

I actually ended up buying a few BeMicro CV-A9 ($150) now obsolete, but you have all the BOM, schematic, PCB lay online.
sure it would have been better with the speed-grade -7, also I had to add heat-sink and tweak the 1.1V to provide a bit more current

https://www.arrow.com/en/reference-designs/bemicro-cv-a9-development-board-based-on-5cefa9f23c8n-low-cost-fpga-cyclone-v-e-perfect-platform-for-small-footprint-embedded-applications/80092271aa830aefebe14ba843994f0d

**broken link removed**

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back