Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

DCDC converter with Vin=24V/6A and Vout=24V(regulated)/0.5A

Status
Not open for further replies.

flote21

Advanced Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello folks,

I am wondering about a commercial DCDC converter which is able to output regulared +-24V/0.5A (At least) with a Vin=24V. I have been thinking on the next part, but it is very expensive and I would like to know if there is some alternatives on the market:

THN 30-2425WI (Traco Power)

Some requirements:
- Isolated is not mandatory.
- It should provide +-24V/0.5A symetrical indpendent of the load.

Greetings!

Hi,

You may use other manufacturers DCDC converters.

You may build your own DCDC converters.
Just use the interactive selection guides (manufacturers, distributors) to find suitable ICs, datasheets, circuits, application notes.

Klaus

Normally dual (+-)power supply should be isolated because it can be easily make in transformer tapping(+-) and it will ensure the equal distribution of power to either side .
Voltage controller is sufficient, why cant you try DC DC converter(Push pull)with SG3525 IC

Other wise try this(313mA instead of 500mA)
https://www.meanwell.com/Upload/PDF/DKE15/DKE15-SPEC.PDF

Hi KlauST!

Thanks for your quick reply, do you have in mind other manufacturers like TracoPower? I have been cheking Intersil, Maximm, WE, Murata, etc and I was not able to find DCDC converters like the ones provided by Traco...

Thanks!

Hi,

You may use other manufacturers DCDC converters.

You may build your own DCDC converters.
Just use the interactive selection guides (manufacturers, distributors) to find suitable ICs, datasheets, circuits, application notes.

Klaus

- - - Updated - - -

+Interesting DCDC but I need 0.5A minimum. I mean, actually I am not sure. Maybe yo can help me wit this issue. I am gonna use them to supply Hall Effect a current sensor like this one:

https://docs-emea.rs-online.com/webdocs/121e/0900766b8121e1c4.pdf

According to the manufacturer it needs 400mA (Isn). Therefore, maybe with a DCDC converter which is able to ouput +-24V/+-300mA is enough to supply this currente sensor...what do you think?

Greetings

Normally dual (+-)power supply should be isolated because it can be easily make in transformer tapping(+-) and it will ensure the equal distribution of power to either side .
Voltage controller is sufficient, why cant you try DC DC converter(Push pull)with SG3525 IC

Other wise try this(313mA instead of 500mA)

As per LEM datasheet current conception(supply current) is (30 + Is) mA
“Is” is the secondary current
Here current ratio is 1: 5000,
So secondary current when primary current reach to 2000A : 2000A/5000 = 0.4 A
Suppose your primary current max is 1000A then,
Secondary current(Is) : 1000/5000 = 0.2A
Supply current should be : 30mA + 200mA = 230mA

Totally agree but my question is if a DCDC converter with an output +-24V/+-150mA will be able to supply the supposed case you said: 230mA

As per LEM datasheet current conception(supply current) is (30 + Is) mA
“Is” is the secondary current
Here current ratio is 1: 5000,
So secondary current when primary current reach to 2000A : 2000A/5000 = 0.4 A
Suppose your primary current max is 1000A then,
Secondary current(Is) : 1000/5000 = 0.2A
Supply current should be : 30mA + 200mA = 230mA

Hi,

the chosen current transducer has a conversion ratio of 5000:1.
Thus - yes - the output will be 400mA RMS with a measurement current of 2000A RMS.

If your measurement current is just 1000A the output current will be reduced to 200mA, too.

Be careful with DCDC converters. Some are very tight tolerated and won´t supply much more than the rated current.
But with 400mA RMS you will get about 600mA peak (plus the 33mA current consumption). (assuming pure sinewave)
While convential power supplies will not have a problem to supply 600mA for a short time, some DCDC converters may go into overload condition.
Better choose a higher rated DCDC converter (only if you really go to 2000A RMS)

To reduce power dissipation I recommend to reduce supply voltage to +/-15V. This reduces overall power requirement.

Choosing power supply.
I don´t know about size ... but why not choose an industrial power supply like AC/DC or DC/DC for DIN rail.
DCDC converters are available for almost any power range. 15V as well as 24V are standard output voltages. Just use the distributor´s selection guides. (I won´t do this for you)
Also PCB mount...

What´s the idea behind generating +24V from a +24V. Why not simply use an isolated a single output 24V-24V converter to generate just the -24V?
If you already have +24V you don´t need to generate a new +24V one.

To build a DCDC converter on your own:
ICs are more than plenty available from various manufacturers.

Klaus

Totally agree but my question is if a DCDC converter with an output +-24V/+-150mA will be able to supply the supposed case you said: 230mA

+-24V/+-150mA means 24V@150mA and -24V@150mA or 48V@150mA or Total power 7.2VA

You have to purchase power supply of +-24V/+-230mA if your maximum primary current 1000A

You can use above mentioned DC DC Power supply if your maximum primary current is 1415A

Status
Not open for further replies.