Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Regarding Current Monitor Circuit for Charging Status

Status
Not open for further replies.

sakibnaz

Full Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi All.

My project is a Load Charging Device. Load can be a Smartphone or Tablet. In my system I want to monitor if the Load is In-Charging or Fully-Charged.

I am thinking to do it by monitoring the current of the Charging line. To do that is there any suitable dedicated IC? Or how about to put a low Ohm resistor (R-Sense) into the Charging line and measure Voltage across it to get the current value then determine the status of Charging?

Please advice whats the best approach to do this design.

Thanks in advance.

Regards.

The frequent advice says you should only charge your smartphone from the charger designed for it. Is the battery Li-On? These are the type in recent news items about fires and explosions caused by mobile devices. It is risky to break the wires and insert a device between the phone and its charger.

put a low Ohm resistor (R-Sense) into the Charging line and measure Voltage across it to get the current value

Yes, this is the convenient method. In addition it's a good idea to sense temperature of the battery. As the battery reaches full charge, it starts to generate heat, because its internal system can stop converting electrical current into electro-chemical energy. You need to do a lot of experimenting to measure parameters of battery behavior when charging and discharging.

Status
Not open for further replies.