Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

analog try catch latch "circuit breaker" (beginners circuits)

Status
Not open for further replies.

d123

Advanced Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,

This circuit is very simple and old-fashioned and can be 90% replaced with a uC. For those of us who maybe can't write code yet or like analog solutions, this is my contribution to an analog try catch latch "circuit breaker."

Someone here suggested in a thread where I had a problem with a circuit to use a try catch latch for inrush limiting and that a uC is much easier and smaller to do that. It got me thinking and as I am currently working/wrestling my way through an analog electronic load circuit idea and I wanted a protection circuit, over the last few days have tried various failed and successful versions and variations and have come up with this as the most useful and reliable version that latches off. It's not so great but for anyone like me who just wants a quick analog solution (1970's components and pcb real estate hog or not), it should work as is I would hope because I've simulated it so many times, am familiar with the real world parts in real circuits, and it is easy to tinker with.

While only a simulation, it looks very promising real world, and it was nice getting a vague feel for how people had to work not so long ago and appreciating a tiny bit why analog is bulky and disappearing but so great to work with and learn from.

The images are:
schematic (resistors on last two 4017 outputs are not necessary, put them there to not get annoying error message on simulating)
functional block description schematic
simulated results
graphical description of input waveform

In simulations it worked at 5V, 27ºC for spikes, pulses, steps, sine- triangle- and squarewave inputs.

Hope it's of use to someone or you can adapt it to your needs, that's all. It was a lot of fun working through the idea this far. Any suggestions for improvements are very welcome.

Thanks

1 try catch latch circuit schematic.JPG

1b try catch latch circuit functional schematic.JPG

2 try catch latch circuit simulation output signal waveforms ref.JPG

3 try catch latch circuit simulation input signal waveform.JPG

Last edited:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back