Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

how to make demo hex file

Status
Not open for further replies.

japanetn

Newbie level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi all, I want to make a demo .hex file. Can any one tell me how can i make it.

For that you require some details like the starting address, end address and data what you to write. You can get tools like hex editor etc.

Hi,

it depends what you mean with "demo".
What should it demonstrate?
* simply existance and the name
* or do you think about an Intel Hex format (without meaningful contents)
* or should it contain a valid software that can be uploaded to a microcontroller

Klaus

I wonder what "demo hex file" is? E.g. "Hello world" application, compiled to a hex file for your preferred processor?

Hi all thanks for reply. Now I clearing what I want....

Suppose, I wrote code in microc avr for atmega8a and compiled. After compiled I got a hex. This hex i will give my client and I want after 6 month this hex will not work in atmega8a.

This hex i will give my client and I want after 6 month this hex will not work
In a simple system it would be necessary to implement a local RTC, with battery removal check - once this would reverse the date. On a more robust system, you would need to have access to the world time server. By the way, I've done in the past a system that took advantage of the GPS to obtain the calibration of the system local date/time. This way it is possible to implement an expiration date for the program.

Hi,

this has nothing to do with a hex file.

You need to program your software to time out.
We don´t know your periferals like RTC that can give you the information about time.
Difficult to help.

Klaus

Can I add any code with my main code to make demo .hex file?

Hi,

Yes, as already said in post#7, you need add code (software).
It's your code that needs to decide whether it shoud run or not.

How does your customer program the code (hex file) onto the microcontroller? Interface, programming software

Klaus

Hi,

Yes, as already said in post#7, you need add code (software).
It's your code that needs to decide whether it shoud run or not.

How does your customer program the code (hex file) onto the microcontroller? Interface, programming software

Klaus

My client program onto microcontroller using programming software. That is tl866 universal programmer

Hi,

then your client has access to everything inside the microcontroller. Flash, EEPROM, fuses....

Then you need access to any external time (or timeout) information.

Klaus

You could consider to sell chip already programmed with 'lock bits' set to disable Further programming of the Flash and EEPROM.
Then client couldn't workaround your timeout feature.

You could consider to sell chip already programmed with 'lock bits' set to disable Further programming of the Flash and EEPROM. Then client couldn't workaround your timeout feature.

In this case it would work fine for accounting the time in which the system were working, that is, the internal EEPROM could store the last updated count of the local RTC just updated, but if it is desired to determine a deadline for expiration of the trial, it would not be possible to ensure if the system was shutted down during evaluation period, therefore freezing time counting.

That's right, then the trial time would be described as time when the system is powered on and is working. The time when the system is shut down wouldn't be counted in this case.

Status
Not open for further replies.