Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

boot linux from inside windows

Status
Not open for further replies.

omara007

Advanced Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi guys ..
I need to boot Red Hat 9 from inside my Windows XP .. like to have a window of Red Hat 9 in XP without a need to restart into Red Hat .. how can I do that ? .. if I have to download a certain type of software , can I find something for free ?

Regards

do you have a dual boot ? .. and does this program allow u to boot ur other operating system from the one currently in-operation ?

install a virtual pc software

i installed both .. and i couldn't boot windows from inside linux! .. I had problems pointing to the actual hard drive that I have installed linux on, while making new virtual machine ! .. Plus I prefer to use a free virtual machine, that can be simpler to set up .. with a host OS of WinXP home Edition and a Guest of Linux Red Hat 9 ..
I heard about Boch .. anyone used it ?

I installed coLinux+Debian under Win2k. There is no dual boot. coLinux is a Windows app that opens a large Windows file named root_fs (containing the Debian drive image) and runs it. It gives me a window with the familiar Linux boot and command prompt. I can install Debian apps, compile stuff, setup servers, whatever I want. I mouted several shared Windows folders. I ran a few X windows apps through VNC (using TightVNC in Windows), although the graphics are kinda slow.

Here are some screen snapshots:
http://www.colinux.org/?section=screenshots

The total elapsed time from when I first discovered coLinux until I had downloaded everything and got it running was about eight hours.

well the best software would be VMWare. It good.. try the enterprise edition of the software. I prefer this over Virtual PC.. give it a shot.. it took 3 hrs to install RHEL 3 for me on Virtual PC.. but jes 25 mins on VMWare.

with regards,

Status
Not open for further replies.