Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

WS2812B SMD RGB LED - bypass capacitor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

for proper LED operation there is no need for a capacitor.

Why do you think you need a capacitor?
For sure the LED current needs to be within the specified range.

Klaus

100nF.

Klause: WS2812is a chip with a serial protocol to control built in RGB LEDs. It needs a decpupling capacitor like any other typical digital chip.

Bob

Hi,

Sorry for this. You are correct.
I should have better read the datasheet.

--> use a 100nF capacitor for each chip, like recommended on page 7.

Klaus

100nF.

Klause: WS2812is a chip with a serial protocol to control built in RGB LEDs. It needs a decpupling capacitor like any other typical digital chip.

Bob

Could you upload your datasheet or else tell me where you downloaded it from. The one I have does not have a page 7 and no details about bypass caps.

Could you upload your datasheet or else tell me where you downloaded it from. The one I have does not have a page 7 and no details about bypass caps.

I found two versions of the datasheet. One is 5 pg. and one is 10 pg. The pg. 5 and pg. 7 information was identical. It shows c-1 as a 104 which I assume is the code for the value Klaus gave. He would have to verify that for you. Try searching "ws2812b datasheet- kitronik.

- - - Updated - - -

He may be looking at a different datasheet. I see the 104 code as 100 pf.

- - - Updated - - -

I found two versions of the datasheet. One is 5 pg. and one is 10 pg. The pg. 5 and pg. 7 information was identical. It shows c-1 as a 104 which I assume is the code for the value Klaus gave. He would have to verify that for you. Try searching "ws2812b datasheet- kitronik.

- - - Updated - - -

He may be looking at a different datasheet. I see the 104 code as 100 pf.

Or I'm not converting the code correctly.

Hi,

Capacitor code:

10[COLOR="#0000FFEE"]4[/COLOR] means: 10 x 10^[COLOR="#0000FFEE"]4[/COLOR]pF
= 10 x 10,000 pF = 100,000 pF = 100nF

Klaus

Link to manufacturer: http://www.world-semi.com/solution/list-4-1.html
(But somehow I can't open this datasheet)

Thus here another source for the datasheet:
http://www.kitronik.co.uk/pdf/WS2812B-LED-datasheet.pdf

Klaus

Added:
Capacitor coding is similar to resistor coding. If you do some electronics stuff you should learn this.
Many manufacturer codes include this.
But I don't like the use of this code in schematics (like in the datasheet), because it may lead to confusions.

Or I'm not converting the code correctly.
Obviously, 104 means "1" "0" "0000", 100000 pF or 100 nF.

Misunderstandings can be avoided by asking exactly. The chip is originally named "integrated light source" rather than "LED".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back