Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to decide the pin pitch distance in physical layout designing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

isky

Newbie level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Firstly, if I am not wrong then according to my knowledge we have to maintain a specific pitch distance or multiples of it between all I/O pins while doing a physical layout designing. This is to help an auto-routing tool so that it will not miss any pins while auto-routing saving us a manual work.

Now,
I am going to make layouts in Global Foundry's 65nm technology. Previously I have worked on IBM 130nm technology and the I/O pin pitch distance was told to us directly that it is 0.48um or multiples of it. I have attached image of inverter layout which I did in 130nm technology and also the zoomed image of its pins and the distance between them.
Now I am supposed to work on 65nm technology and I am supposed to FIND out the minimum pitch distance for this technology node.
I do not have any clue how do I do that. It's fine even if anyone doesn't tell me answer directly. Even the hint or a way to find it out would be appreciated.

Attachments

• 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 142
  • 1.png
    1.png
    281.5 KB · Views: 136

Pad pitch flows down from the assembly house's capability
/ rules. Bond wire foot geometry sets pad size for wirebond
circuits, ball / column / pillar deformation, placement and
squish-out / residual min spacing for such assembly styles.

The foundries supply pads based on some customer demand
but if you don't look like those customers, you may have to
do some added work.

I truly doubt you have 0.48um pad pitch. Multiples of, maybe -
sounds like an arbitrary I/O-grid / -snap rule for reasons I
have no idea about.

Your I/O pin pitch for your stdcells may be your via width + via spacing. Via as in the symbolic, not the individual layer. Look through the settings on your router to see if you can find what you need. Alternatively, place a few cells and try routing them up and see what you get then make adjustments as needed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back