Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Tiny Lights Sewn In Fabric

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thayne

Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I have a client that wants a simple image (like a logo) made of lights on/in a piece of fabric. Basically, a flag with a symbol on it. They said they don't want it to look "clunky", like a bunch of LEDs in a row. I did some research and found fiber optic fabrics, but it is not really conducive to making anything more than very broad patterns, or entirely monochrome sheets. It looks great, but not what they are after.

So, I was thinking instead of optical fiber maybe some very tiny lights -- much smaller than standard sized LED's. On this random circuit board I have there are these very tiny lights (see pic). These could probably be arranged in a way to "draw" the logo design. They seem small enough that they could be strung along a thin wire, arranged for the design, then stitched to the fabric.

Does anyone know what these tiny lights are [edit: I know they are LED's -- I mean the type of LED. I cannot find them.] and where I can get some in bulk? And does anyone think there are better lights for doing this?

Thanks IMG_20180526_153944.jpg

They said they don't want it to look "clunky", like a bunch of LEDs in a row. I did some research and found fiber optic fabrics, but it is not really conducive to making anything more than very broad patterns.

I suppose you saw the Lumigram 'luminous fiber'?

www.lumigram.com

If you look closely at certain photos, the cloth appears to contain fibers which are lined up side-by-side. It creates a band which is flexible and durable.
Very much like something in a 'Fiber Optic Experimenter's Kit' which I purchased at Radio Shack in the 1970's. The fibers are sewn together just like an island-dweller makes a raft by tying logs together. Then you use sandpaper on the fibers to create letters or any design. The spots where you sanded become rough, causing light to emerge at those spots.

I've seen rigid plastic rods and panels whose ends shine a light transmitted through them. However you cannot see the light running inside the plastic. (I think there is a small flexible flashlight with the same principle.) Perhaps they are not as expensive as optic fibers.

Or, you might find a type of plastic strip which carries light, which shines out from areas which you make rough with sandpaper. Such plastic strips come in collars of new shirts, etc.

Hi,

It's not LED light pipes, is it?

I can't see them so well, they look a bit like the fried egg rectangular 1206-ish size LEDs and there must be much smaller like 0403 or 0402 or whatever it is.

nichia smd white led photo.PNG

If it is this kind of LED - sorry if it isn't - I took the liberty of adding this link to online suppliers page of over 1,000 to browse through or die in the intent... :) Visible LEDs

- - - Updated - - -

Just checked the photo again, do take a look through the smd LEDs on the link - there are loads that look like that tiny dome-shaped smd LED there.

I suppose you saw the Lumigram 'luminous fiber'?

Yeah, that is exactly what I saw. Those are very cool. The problem is trying to make fonts and more intricate patterns. For instance, writing a word like "Restaurant" in size 20 font. It could probably be executed like the neon light method (continuous tube with blacked out sections). I just can't picture it being done well. If thickness wasn't an issue, the fibers could be arranged perpendicular to the viewing angle (ends out). That would work really well.

These tiny lights I have are like the size of a pinhole each. I imagine they could even be superglued onto fabric, or onto a conductive thread. Then, the thread runs back to a control board that can be programmed for whatever effects.

I don't know. It seems like it could work.

- - - Updated - - -

Hi,

It's not LED light pipes, is it?

Yes! That's it! Thank you!

I think it is the 1 x 0.5 x 0.4mm size they have. Maybe smaller. I didn't measure yet, but it is small enough.

Great thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back