Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[Moved] LTspice not working in Windows 10

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

treez

Hello,

We just got a new laptop and we find that running our LTspice simulations now mostly doesnt work.
These exact same simulations run fine on our old laptop.
Old laptop was "packard bell easynote TE" with Windows 8, and was running LTspice IV
New Laptop is "Lenovo Yoga 510" with Windows 10, and is running LTspice XV11.

The fault is that on most times that a simulation is started, it just freezes and "Task Manager" has to be used to "End Task", as it just freezes totally.

I read somewhere that it may be due to Windows 10 doing windows updates, and this interferes with LTspice?
Unfortunatelty windows updates can't be disabled in windows 10.

Incidentally, my friends computer has windows 10, and i also sometimes get this "freezing" problem on his computer...but not as often as with our new windows 10 laptop.

Do you know how to solve?
Maybe its colliding with Norton Antivirus?

OK, i went into the "Program Files (x86)" folder of our old laptop, and tried to find the
LTspice IV install file, so i could install it onto our new laptop. But I could not find it.
Therefore, i have copied the whole LTspice folder (called "LTC") and just dumped it into a file on the desktop of the new laptop.
So LTspice is now obviously not actually installed on the new laptop. However, if i click the file called "SCAD3" in the LTspice folder than it opens up
the LTspice window and this lets me open simulations (.asc files) and runs them. -And importantly now it doesnt crash.
Does anyone know what's going on here?

If i go into the Programs folder on the new laptop, which lists all the programs that are installed on the new laptop, then LTspice doesnt show up here.

This is weird, howcome LTspice is running on the new laptop even though its not installed on the new laptop?
At least its not crashing now.
Are there any disadvantages of this?
One slight disadvantage is that you have to open simulations from the LTspice window instead of just clicking them and having them automatically open up LTspice for us..

Being run in this bizarre way, it runs quicker on the new laptop than on the old one (but then again the new one is 2.4GHz processor speed vs 1.9GHz processor speed
for the old laptop)

The fault is that on most times that a simulation is started, it just freezes and "Task Manager" has to be used to "End Task", as it just freezes totally.
Had exactly the same problem.

The problem is between LTSpice XVII released in 2018 with Windows 10. I have solved the problem via installing any LTspice XVII from 2017 (or older). I have no problems now and when LTSpice asks to update, I discard it.

I also wrote to the support explaining the problem but never heard back (this was in January 2018). Hopefully, when a lot of people will experience the problem, they will start looking at it... for the time being, they just do not care.

I`m, right now with LTSpice XVII, recently updated, and nothing strange have been happening; My laptop has the Windows 10 home edition (single language) running on hardware X64 platform instelled as administrator. I admit that I have not used it so intensively and all the simulated circuits were somewhat simple, but at least I was able to perform a few below dozens simulations without noticing any freezing so far, as both you reported.

There are several discussions at the unofficial LTspice support forum https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/LTspice/info

It's assumed so far that the problem only occurs with specific CPU types, e.g. Intel Core Duo. It's confirmed that the 2017 releases of LTspice XVII aren't affected, as stated by CataM. If you want to have the latest ADI libraries, you need to copy it into the 2017 installation.

I admit that I have not used it so intensively and all the simulated circuits were somewhat simple
When I was experiencing the problem it happened to whatever circuit, simple (voltage source+resistor) or complex.

If you want to have the latest ADI libraries, you need to copy it into the 2017 installation.
I guess you need to install LTSpice XVII from 2018, save the library, and then install LTSpice XVII from 2017 again. Aren't the libraries posted somewhere and just download them all together?

Analog gives the list of SPICE models, but you need to go 1 by 1.. https://www.analog.com/en/design-center/simulation-models/spice-models.html

My laptop has the Windows 10 home edition (single language) running on hardware X64 platform instelled as administrator.
Thanks, the fact that you are running it as administrator i think is good.....i read somehwere the problem happens if not as adminstrator.....i dont think i am running it as administrator, and i dont know how to make myself the administrator (even though its my laptop) May people tell of this?

i dont know how to make myself the administrator (even though its my laptop) May people tell of this?
I didn`t mean to run from an administrator account, but rather to install as administrator...

adm.png

Anyway I`m not sure how this could relate to the issue, but worthy to try.

Thankyou Andre_Teprom, i have clicked "run as administrator".

Well it works fine now, so many thanks to all.
I still cant see it in the uninstall directory, (so i wonder if its "officially" installed?) but i dont suppose that matters.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back