Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

D Flipflop with enable does not have the else part in RTL in the if-else statement

Status
Not open for further replies.

sky_above

Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
For a D Flipflop with Enable how the else part can be coded? Generally the rtl of a D-Flipflop with enable are as below and it does not show an else part. How to take care then to avoid latch generation ?

Code Verilog - [expand]
always @(posedge clk or negedge reset )
  if (~reset)
    Q<=1'b0;
  else if (Enable)
    Q<=d;

edge triggered always blocks do not create latches.

If there is no else clause the Q value does not change (i.e. it holds the last value that was assigned)

The equivalent (and more verbose) version of the code you posted is:

Code Verilog - [expand]
always @(posedge clk or negedge reset )
  if (~reset)    Q<=1'b0;
  else if (Enable)    Q<=d; 
  else  Q <= Q;

Latches are generated in combinational (level sensitive event triggered) always block. It's just fine this way.

Latches are generated in combinational (level sensitive event triggered) always block. It's just fine this way.
According to Verilog LRM for the procedural assignment Q<= d here, the Q will have to hold the earlier value when Enable=0. So in this case the synthesis tool will try to generate a flipflop as the flipflop will hold the previous value when Enable =0 and also the synthesis tool will not synthesize latch as the always block is edge sensitive and not level sensitive Is this that is the reason for latch not being generated out of this code?

Will there be edge sensitive enable flipflops in library to realize the following edge sensitive RTL for D Flipflop ?
Code:
always @ (posedge clk or negedge rest or posedge enable)
if (~reset)
Q<= 1'b0;
else if (enable)
Q<= d;

Your first question has already been answered in both replies.

Will there be edge sensitive enable flipflops in library to realize the following edge sensitive RTL for D Flipflop ?
Code:
always @ (posedge clk or negedge rest or posedge enable)
if (~reset)
Q<= 1'b0;
else if (enable)
Q<= d;

If intended as DFF description, it's erroneous. According to Verilog rules, enable will be implemented as second asynchronous signal. Because the design is missing code to be executed on the clk edge, no DFF will be implemented, only a latch. To generate a DFF with enable input, "posedge enable" must not appear in the event list, the correct code is in post #1 and #2.

Please review the DFF template description in this previous post https://www.edaboard.com/showthread.php?377340-Unknown-Clock-Signal&p=1616541&viewfull=1#post1616541

- - - Updated - - -

Superficially the result seems to contradict the previous statement
edge triggered always blocks do not create latches
But the code has no valid edge triggered event specification.

Your first question has already been answered in both replies.

Is my following reasoning correct to correctly and completely answer my first question in post #1?

According to Verilog LRM for the procedural assignment Q<= d here, the Q will have to hold the earlier value when Enable=0. So in this case the synthesis tool will try to generate a flipflop as the flipflop will hold the previous value when Enable =0 and also the synthesis tool will not synthesize latch as the always block is edge sensitive and not level sensitive Is this that is the reason for latch not being generated out of this code?

It's more simple. The below code already implements a DFF

Code Verilog - [expand]
always @(posedge clk )
  Q<=d;

It's more simple. The below code already implements a DFF

Code Verilog - [expand]
always @(posedge clk )
  Q<=d;

But it will be a flipflop without a reset.

I am getting puzzled. So can you please answer the below question which was asked in post # 6?

Is my following reasoning correct to correctly and completely answer my first question in post #1?

So in this case the synthesis tool will try to generate a flipflop as the flipflop will hold the previous value when Enable =0
I think, the conclusion is incorrect or at least misleading in so far that a flipflop won't be generated only in this case, but in any case with or without enable, with or without reset. But also in this case.

The other part has been answered before in post #2 and #3: An edge sensitive always block always generates a flipflop and never a latch.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back