Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[SOLVED] Transmission Line Theory Understanding

Status
Not open for further replies.

dzafar

Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello all,

I am new to transmission line theory. I am reading Microwave Engineering by David M. Pozar. He mentions:

"The key difference between circuit theory and transmission line theory is the electrical size. Circuit analysis assumes that the physical dimensions of the network are much smaller that the electrical wavelength, while transmission lines may be a considerable fraction of a wavelength, or many wavelengths in size. Thus a transmission line is a distributed-parameter network, where voltages and currents can vary in magnitude and phase over its length, while ordinary circuit analysis deals with lumped elements, where voltage and current do not vary appreciably over the physical dimension of the elements"

My understanding: Does this mean that in transmission line theory, the voltage and current can vary in an element? For example, if we consider a resistor with 3 A flowing through it, does this mean that the current through the entire resistor may not exactly be 3 A?

Please explain.

Electrons don't care what we call "element" and what we call "line". If element dimensions are not small compared to wavelength (not lumped element), the current will also vary for different locations inside a circuit element.

Reactions: dzafar

dzafar

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Status
Not open for further replies.