Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[SOLVED] Thick rubbery grey filling I'm not familiar with

Status
Not open for further replies.

DPluss

Junior Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello guys!

After several hours of searching I've decided to ask the community about something I'd really like to find out.
I've disassembled a small electric box (ccfl inverter) to fix some loose wiring, I've noticed that it was filled from top to bottom with a thick grey rubbery compound I've yet to know. I know it probably has to do something with heat, probably some thermal compound.
My actual question is, what is that grey stuff? The whole pcb and the box was completely filled with it. What is its actual name, and can I use it to fill my project boxes to avoid overheating and also to mask the pcb from those who would open it to copy my work?

Thanks in advance!

Robert

If it's elastic, it's most likely silicone rubber encapsulant, like Dow Corning Sylgard 160. If it's rigid, epoxy resin, half-rigid may be polyurethane.

In case of an inverter, I would expect high voltage insulation as primary purpose. Some encapsulants have also higher thermal conductivity, but they are rather viscose and not well pourable.

If it's elastic, it's most likely silicone rubber encapsulant, like Dow Corning Sylgard 160. If it's rigid, epoxy resin, half-rigid may be polyurethane.

In case of an inverter, I would expect high voltage insulation as primary purpose. Some encapsulants have also higher thermal conductivity, but they are rather viscose and not well pourable.

Thank you for your detailed answer, I've searched for the compounds you suggested and found the thing I was looking for!

Cheers!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back