Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

lockin amplifier vs FFT

Status
Not open for further replies.

garimella

Full Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I wanted to know the difference between lockin detection vs FFT. It appears that lockin is a single point FFT. Whether lockin and FFT can be interchangeably used?

Hi,

Whether lockin and FFT can be interchangeably used?
No.
An FFT uses a sine waveform without overtones as "correlation signal", thus the output is only related to a single frequency.

But the lock in uses a square wave as correlation signal. A square wave is a combination of various sine waves (--> fourier series). Fundamental frequecy, 3rd, 5th, 7th ... overtones
Thus the lock in also reacts on 3rd, 5th, 7th.. overtones.

Additionally a FFT doesn´t only give a "real" result, but a complex result.
Thus you can calculate amplitude as well as phase shift.

You may get some kind of complex result is you do the lock in with two "correlation signals":
1) the usual square wave
2) plus the 90° phase shifted square wave.

Klaus

Hi KlausST

I need some more clarification. Can VCO not generate pure sine wave( like DDS chip)?
In that case I can multiply two pure signals without overtones and respond only to the fundamental? So FFT becomes synonymous with Lockin?

Also a basic question, what does it mean by "lockin"? What are we locking?

Hi filip

Besides the document, could you provide simplified explanation to my arguments given in #3

I do not understand, why should I provide explanation to your arguments? If you claim that FFT is the same as lock-in you should prove it.

Hi filip

Certainly, I do not claim that both are identical. It appears that both the methods give what I want, Viz.. magnitude and phase. So what is the subtle difference between them?

Hi,

There are different LIA approaches:
* sine or square wave reference signal
* one (with or without varaible phase shifter) or two reference signals
* different filter types of output filtering

So if your LIA is
* with two exactly 90° phase shifted sine input reference signals with exact same amplitude
* and the output filter is a simultaneously controlled integrator over exactly n fullwaves
then the result should be equal to a single frequency FFT output.

Klaus

FFT and lock-in amplifier are totally different things
Absolutely. Nevertheless there are some applications where lock-in amplifier and FFT spectrum analyzer can be used both. Unfortunately garimella didn't tell his application.

Status
Not open for further replies.