Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

bf256a correct pinout?

Status
Not open for further replies.

neazoi

Advanced Member level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
What is the correct pinout of the bf256a?
the ON semiconductors has different pinout than the fairchild.
is there any way to determine my no name brand pinout?

You could determine the pins by testing with an ohmmeter.

Reactions: FvM

FvM

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Hi,

I can't find the fairchild datasheet.
Can you upload it?

Klaus

I can confirm the datasheet differences, not sure if it's a documentation fault or true product difference. Akanimo has however answered the question completely. So much faster than typing more words.

bf256.PNG

Its a depletion mode FET so an Ohm meter will only find the source and drain pins. It is possible (although unlikely) to damage the FET by applying the meter probe voltage on the gate pin.

I suggest going to that well known auction site and searching for "LCR ESR" and buying the cheapest open PCB unit it offers. They are surprisingly accurate for the price and by placing the FET pins in the ZIF socket it will identify and show the pin out on the LCD.

Brian.

JFET involves a junction between gate and drain/source, as the FET symbol indicates. You'll see 0.6V forward voltage with diode tester.

- - - Updated - - -

It is possible (although unlikely) to damage the FET by applying the meter probe voltage on the gate pin.
In contrast to unprotected MOSFET, JFET are not particularly sensitive in this regard. I remember a single case of damaging a JFET, when soldering it with an mains supplied, unearthed "soldering gun".

Status
Not open for further replies.