Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

parallelize sources with 1 single controller

Status
Not open for further replies.

yelstor

Junior Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello
I'm going to design a 3000W DC / DC source, so I thought it would be best to parallelize 2 1500W sources, to facilitate the fabrication of the transformers (I plan to use 2 fullbridge). Consulting the literature, it is necessary to balance the currents of each stage. for this I have seen reference designs of texas instruments and infineon, which basically use 2 independent controllers for each stage, and synchronize them with a synchronization pin arranged in the integrated circuit. My question is that I have had the opportunity to see some 48Vdc / 110Vac inverters. These inverters when the power is high, parallel several pushpull stages, but only have one controller! How do these manufacturers ensure that the current is the same in each stage?

for example, in the schematic that I attached that corresponds to a 1500W inverter, two stages are parallelized, but their pwm signals are the same.

I have thought that perhaps when they implement the transformers, they are as equal as possible, but a difference of only 5% (magnetic cores have a tolerance of 10%) makes the current in a stage is greater than in the other. I do not know if there is something in the circuit that I attach that ensures the current balance, so please tell me where.
Thank you very much.
View attachment 1500W INVERTER full schematics and pcb (1).pdf

quite the design, if you use current mode to drive the two independent 1500W stages then you will achieve sharing easily.

For your push pull sections, and for your intended full bridge, the R in the Tx's will provide a long time constant sharing, if you are going to use blocking caps in the full bridge drive to the Tx primaries then they will help to ensure power sharing as well. given that you have exactly the same gate drive to the 2 H bridges.

with one control chip there is in fact no easy way to vary the power processed separately by the 2 H bridges - make sure the layout is a symmetrical as you can make it, avoiding volt drops to one of the power circuits that the other does not have...

- - - Updated - - -

similarly with the output ( diode rect) layout - symmetric... i.e. the same for both ... not longer wires for one part than the other...

Status
Not open for further replies.