Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

USB to wireless USB, is it possible?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sairfan1

Full Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,

I'm setting up CNC machine that can work with USB cable. I want to place CNC machine away from my lab because of noise and dust. What i want to do is that if I connect some wireless module to PC (may be usb to serial) and its receiver to CNC's USB port (may be serial to usb) so that my PC can communicate with CNC wirlessly.

Can somebody help on it, if there are already some modules or one i can prepare.
Thanks.

I would think it's easier to connect it...

CNC - USB cable - PC (a different one with RDP enabled with the CNC software) - Ethernet Network - Your PC (access CNC PC via RDP).

This way no need to find some specialized USB wireless component that may not work well through multiple walls.

possible. one way is to use usb-esp8266 board and connect to PC.

you may have to check the range of this wifi communication in your environment.

many such modules are available( diymore , lysignal makes ) are some.
around $5 to $10.

With wifi module? sorry i did not understand, my CNC can connect with USB, how will i communicate with ESP8266 to USB, what i understand PC wifi to ESP8266 then ESP to USB.

I also found many wireless USB modules but there is greate misunderstanding they are for USB to wifi can you please share some link to a module that can communicate from USB to Wireless USB.

Thanks.

sairfan1, I already told you one way (probably the easiest) to set this up, so you can remotely run the CNC.

As a normal setup would be...
USB host (PC) - USB cable ------------ USB peripheral (CNC)

and given you are trying to do the following instead....

USB host (PC) - USB port - USB (Type A) to wireless --^^^^^^^^^-- wireless to USB (USB Type B) - USB peripheral (CNC)

Basically you want to replace a cable with a wireless connection but make it behave like the original Type A (PC side) to Type B (CNC side) cable. Perhaps there is something that exists to do that, but I've never seen such a thing. The closest approximation are the old wireless print servers that would allow a printer, with no wireless support, to be connected to a WiFi network. Some of them could be connected via the USB Type B connector, but something like that won't suffice to replace a USB cable (the really old ones were parallel port with Ethernet RJ45 jacks).

The problem with such a beast is that there probably isn't much of a market for such a thing. If a peripheral has a wireless connection it typically has WiFi built in, e.g. like a network printer (my home network printer has a USB-Type B port but it also has a WiFi connection, so I use WiFi to send print jobs and scan documents).

Status
Not open for further replies.