Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[SOLVED] multiplication of numbers

Status
Not open for further replies.

kachuri

Newbie level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I'm doing a multiplication in hexadecimal.

my book has this solution
Code:
[SIZE=4]     AFC4 x
      B9C
  -------
    83D30
   62DE4
  [COLOR="#FF0000"]78D6C[/COLOR]
  -------
  7F88770[/SIZE]

But I get a different solution
calcul1.jpg

Is my solution wrong ?

How come book gets 78 there in the red marked area.....I get 6F there.

Can anyone please help me out ?

thanks

Last edited by a moderator:

I get 7F88770.

AFC4 * B00 = 78D6C00
AFC4 * 090 = 062DE40
AFC4 * 00C = 0083D30

Added together that makes 7F88770.

Brian.

Hi,

Why not convert them to groups of 4-digit hex represented binary for easier multiplication and reconnecting the binary solution back to hex?

Why not convert them to groups of 4-digit hex represented binary for easier multiplication and reconnecting the binary solution back to hex?

Why are you asking this question here? Don't seem that you should ask the author of the book? If this exercise is purposed to teach HEX calculations, there is the answer, otherwise could be: Do as you feel confortable; For me, dealing with dozens 1's and 0's is boring and hard to review, as well as it increase the chance to mistake.

I wonder why you don't manage to multiply AFC4 by B, but 9 or C are correct. Try again.

Status
Not open for further replies.