Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Controller solution to implement a Simple Modbus TCP/IP Server

Status
Not open for further replies.

arv09

Newbie level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,

I have the following application. There would be a few DI and DO and the status need to be sent to a PC from the controller board, through TCP/IP [Modbus TCP/IP]. It is quite a simple requirement.

I had the following PIC-OLIMEX development board around which uses the PIC18F67J60 : https://www.olimex.com/Products/PIC/Development/PIC-WEB/

Using this I was able to establish TCP/IP connection using the Microchip TCP/IP Lite Stack, though there are some bugs like connection getting disconnected and re-connection happens only after Controller RESET. But I am only just beginning my work on it and I hope to be able to find the reason for this and resolve it. Also, the microcontroller heats up after a while. Does this happen in Ethernet controllers?? When I initially tested the various peripheral on the board like ADC, UART, etc, I did not find any heating issue. Hence, I guess this is due to enabling the Ethernet on the controller.

I would like to know what is the best and cheapest solution to implement this requirement on a microcontroller. I am confused between (A) using a controller with in-built Ethernet support and (B) using a microcontroller with enough Flash and ROM connected to an external Ethernet chip, like the ENC28J60. Also I would like to go in for a solution for which a reliable TCP/IP stack is available. In case of ARM, I only have access to the 32k free Keil version which I don't think would fit the stack. Hence I am looking at a PIC / GCC solution.

I am totally new to TCP/IP on controllers and hence I would like to have suggestions from those who have developed applications along these lines.

I will check the datasheet of Wiznet chips mentioned.

So unlike ENC28J60, I don't have to implement any TCP/IP stack on the controller and a simple ARM controller with 32k PROGRAM memory would be more than sufficient if the Wiznet module is used, for this application that is?

In case of ARM, I only have access to the 32k free Keil version which I don't think would fit the stack. Hence I am looking at a PIC / GCC solution.
Not plausible at all. If you want a free ARM compiler, why not use GNU ARM?

If you feel that TCP/IP stack software is all too much, you may consider a chip or network module with hardware TCP/IP stack like Wiznet W5200/WIZ820.

- - - Updated - - -

Yes, you set up only some basic parameters of the TCP or UDP socket and start using it.

Reactions: arv09

arv09

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back