Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[SOLVED] How to prevent latching with scr

Status
Not open for further replies.
...not to saturate at peak current..

I presume a C or E core (closed magnetic circuit) will not do, I suppose a soft iron rod, or a section of metglas from a C core will be ideal (far less winding with metglas) I will likely obtain metglas only if I determine winding with softiron will take substantial time and it likely will, considering 12awg is of great diameter which demands more turns for increased inductance.

...blow it up...

There is no use in attempting to run the gizmo without some current inhibiting element when sims displayed RMS currents far surpassing breaker ratings.

...wanting high current in a high voltage switch...

Regardless of how cold MOSFETs will remain as they conduct power within the gizmo (Im assuming your reference was to MOSFETs), I rather stick with the simplicity of 1 very high current/power rated IGBT and if heat becomes an issue then paralleling them will surely resolve it. SCRs are far cheaper but at the cost of gate trigger circuitry - more parts and ultimately more things which can go wrong and cause things to really blow up. Im not sure what corners you were referencing, perhaps the price breakpoints for various part quantities?

According to a rough estimation, a 20 mH choke designed for Ipk=25A and Irms=5A can fit an EI120a or EI120b core, total weight 4 to 4.5 kg.

Reactions: Zak28

Zak28

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back