Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Diode drop measuring with a multimeter.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Teja.p

Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Diode drop measuring with multi meter .

Hi,
i am using power diodes 300 A/600V.
while i am checking the diodes with DMM(RISH MAX) in diode mode ...some diodes showing the 0.256V (anode to cathode)in DMM..but very fewer diodes showing 0.126V(anode to cathode)....
how to decide this voltage drop in DMM.
but i found faulty diodes form 0.126V group after I.R and HV Test and initial power on the power supply they showing short.

Re: Diode drop measuring with multi meter .

Hi,

To decide whether they are good or not you need to refer to the datasheet.
There you find the measurement method and the specified limits.

Be careful with HV test. You can easily destroy the diodes.
You never shoulkd apply higher voltage to the diodes than specified. Else you risk the internal isolation barrier to brake down.
There is no need for an immediate failure .. it may cause a long time failure.

Klaus

Re: Diode drop measuring with multi meter .

For diodes rated at 300A you really need more than a DMM to measure forward voltage drop.
I would suggest passing at least 2A through them and using the DMM across anode to cathode to measure Vf. Using the current provided by the DMM alone won't give you any useful reading, especially for comparing one diode with another.

Brian.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back