Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Cadence encounter - Custom level shifters and power domains APR

Status
Not open for further replies.

NikosTS

Advanced Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello,
Im facing the following problem when trying to automatically place and route my design.
Firstly , i implemented my core design and extracted the netlist after CTS, place and route through saveNetlist command in Cadence Encounter.
After that , i create another verilog file where i instantiate the above said module as well as some custom made level shifters ( core + level shifters = top level ).
In order to implement the top level, i synthesize the verilog code and import the design in Encounter.
What is the flow I am supposed to follow?
Until now , i have tried to create 3 power domains : The first one that contains the core design with low voltage ( e.g 1V ) surrounded by 2 block rings ( VDD and VEE), the second one that contains High-to-low voltage level shifters that is surrounded by 3 block rings ( VCC=high voltage, VDD=low voltage , VEE ) and the default domain that contains the low-to-high voltage level shifter . The floorplan area is also surrounded by 3 core rings ( VCC,VDD and VEE ).
I am facing problems especially with special routing : a ) if the power domains do not cover their respective block rings, special routing nets do not extend to the rings, so no connections are made.
b) Because of the 2 different power domains ( VCC=1.8V, VDD=1V ), special routing shorts some internal cell nets although i have added routing blockage .

The custom level shifters were created in Virtuoso, routing blockage layers were used with respect to the layers in internal nets and then the LEF file was exported. I was careful to make the height of the cell an integer multiple ( x2 ) of the standard cell row.

Any ideas/guidance as to how i must proceed? Should i include the custom made shifters as level shifters in .cpf file? How about the power domains? Is this the correct way to deal with this kind of implementation?

Any help would be greatly appreciated as i have wasted very long time to try to figure this out. Feel free to ask for clarifications
Thank you in advance

Just use a CPF file for your own sake. Don't do this by hand.

Could you guide me a bit more on this? Im already using a cpf file where i declare the different domains as well as these custom cells as the level shifters. Also inside the file i am making the logical connections from power/ground pins to global nets.
Is there something more that i can add in there?

thank you in advance

To be more clear , i need these level shifters not in order to connect 2 modules in different domains but to connect some internal outputs (nets) with voltage 1V to the output pins where some of them will drive circuits with voltage 1.8V.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back