Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Noise in CMOS Inverter

Status
Not open for further replies.
With the RC approach, you get a slightly different value, but also the DC point has shifted a bit.

I am bit worried about the shift in DC point at the input.

If the purpose is just to make Vout ~= Vin of the inverter for constant DC operating point and eliminates any feedback in AC, why not just use a very LARGE inductor between input and output since impedance of inductor = jwL ? This also eliminates the need of an input AC-shunt capacitor.

Last edited:

This also eliminates the need of an input AC-shunt capacitor.
Sounds like you have forgotten the thread questions in the meantime. The problem was to measure output impedance. You necessarily need to ground the amplifier input AC-wise to get the output impedance. Using only an "infinite" inductance for DC feedback leaves the input floating.

@FvM

wait, I suppose for AC analysis, simulator will "short" the DC input voltage source to AC ground ? if yes, then we do not need any AC shunt capacitor at the input of CMOS inverter.

Please correct me if I am wrong

Which simulation circuit are you talking about? The input can be either biased with a DC source, or a DC feedback circuit. Using a DC feedback circuit (RC, inductor, whatsoever) makes only sense if there's no DC voltage source. See explanation in post # 14.

I am bit worried about the shift in DC point at the input.

I think that's due to the leakage current of the gates in this transistor model. The shift is very small and the R_out result did not change much. In dB it's miniscule... and variations due to mismatch or what-have-you would be much larger.

@jjx

Sorry for taking up your time for some more theory before the actual simulation

The screenshot is taken from **broken link removed**

1) On slide 17, how do we derive the Vih and Vil expressions involving the variable 'g' which I suppose is total gm of the CMOS inverter ?

2) On slide 19, how do we derive the gain determinates function for the saturation condition Vin=Vm ?

zi10j65.png

Attachments

• CMOS_Inverter_gain_and_noise.png
    CMOS_Inverter_gain_and_noise.png
    166.9 KB · Views: 175

Hi,

no worries.

1) A bit cryptic slide... g is the voltage gain not the transconductance. Given the diagram and what they mention in the first sentence they assume g = -1 and a PWL function. That gives you the straight lines and the VOL = 0 and VOH = VDD, and VM = (VOH+VOL)/2 = (VDD - 0)/2 = VDD/2

2) Haven't really looked into the details, but it should be possible to derive directly from something like:

g = (gmp + gmn) / (gdsp + gdsn) = (2 ID / Veffp + 2 ID / Veffn) / ( lambdaP ID + lambdaN ID) = (1 / (VDD-VM-VTP) + 1 / ( VM - VTN) ) / ( ( lambdaP + lambdaN) / 2) = (VM - VTN + VDD - VM - VTP ) / ( (VDD-VM-VTP) * ( VM - VTN) * ( lambdaP + lambdaN) / 2) = ( VDD - VTN - VTP ) / ( (VDD - VM - VTP) * ( VM - VTN) * ( lambdaP + lambdaN) / 2) etc.

In this case, I think they have made some assumptions, that the gm of the N and P are equal, and that the r factor might be some correction factor for that. I you do those assumptions, one can land at something like the expression above.

@jjx

See **broken link removed** for the derivation steps

But I do not understand why Vih = Vm - Vm / g

Ok, so their formulae motivates the max g quite well. (Even though I still don't see the definition of r)

For Vih = Vm - Vm/g

That comes from the linearized transfer curve around the operating point (VIN = VOUT = VM)

vOUT = VOUT + Dvin * dvout/dvin = VOUT + Dvin * g

where

vIN = VIN + Dvin

When

vIN = VIN + Dvin = VM + DVin = VIH => Dvin = VIH - VM

Such that

vOUT(vIN=VIH) = VM + (VIH - VM) * g = 0 => (VIH - VM)*g = -VM => VIH = VM - VM/g

vIN = VIN + Dvin

wait, why do you have vIN and VIN ?

and what is the difference between vOUT and VOUT ?

- - - Updated - - -

I got it now. See the following derivation for Vih

TsiyMQC.png

CMOS_Inverter_noise_margin.png

r = kp*Vdsatp / kn*Vdsatn

@jjx

What do you think about r as someone helped me to defined what r actually refers to ?

But, (Vm - Vth - Vdsatn/2) does not seem to imply saturation condition when Vin = Vm ?

Last edited:

Ok, thanks. Makes sense given the set of equations that you provided in the link before.

Status
Not open for further replies.