Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Verilog: declaring variable as reg throws an error

Status
Not open for further replies.

dipin

Full Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Code:
module multiplier(
    input clk,
    input [15:0] a,
    input [15:0] b,
    output reg [31:0] p
    );

reg [31:0] in;

always@(posedge clk) begin

p  <= a*b*in;
in <= in+1;

end  
multi_test mu(
    .clk(clk),
    .in(in[15:0])
    );     

endmodule

hi above is a demo for my problem,,,,"in" output of multi_test , i must used in two places like above (its demo).. but when i synthesize it , its throwing an error "in" must be a wire. but if i declare it as a wire i cant use it inside always block.

how to solve this?
did anybody came across this issue before ,any help is really appreciated
how to assign the value of wire to a reg?
UPDATE ..............................................
now i am doing like below
Code:
    reg [31:0] in2;

in2 =in;
  end
any other way ?

thanks and regards

Last edited by a moderator:

Seems like you are confused between Verilog register and wire types.

p <= a*b*in;
I think a and b default to wire types since they are not explicitly defined as reg. However your output p is of type reg.
In the operation shown above you are mixing the types.

how to assign the value of wire to a reg?
Register your inputs a and b on the rising edge of the clk, then use that value to do whatever operation you want to.

Of course in of multi_test can't be an output, gives multiple drivers for variable in.

sorry for my bad explanation::
module multiplier(
input clk,
);

reg [31:0] in;

p <= a*b*in;
in <= in;

end
multi_test mu(
.clk(clk),
.in(in[15:0])
);

endmodule

here i am getting error
[Synth 8-685] variable 'in' should not be used in output port connection ["/home/dipin/development/multi_test/multi_test/multi_test.srcs/sources_1/new/multiplier.v":41]

above is not my exact code...its a demo....so how can i use " in " value inside always block for some operations like above

thanks

I understand that you want the data flow as below

Code Verilog - [expand]
module multiplier(
    input clk,
    );

wire [15:0] in;

p  <= a*b*in2;
in2 <= in+1;
end  
multi_test mu(
    .clk(clk),
    .i_am_output(in[15:0])
    );     
endmodule

"in" must be declared as wire in Verilog2001, can be reg with SystemVerilog syntax enabled.

Btw., anything against using meaningful variable names?

Reactions: dipin

dipin

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
HI,
Thanks for the help FvM,
Btw., anything against using meaningful variable names?
Sorry next time i will do it..
module multiplier(
input clk,
);

wire [15:0] in;

p <= a*b*in2;
in2 <= in2+1;
end
always@(in) begin

in2 <= in1 ;

end

multi_test mu(
.clk(clk),
.i_am_output(in[15:0])
);
endmodule

so above code will work fine right,,little changes from FvM's code
is there any way to assign in to in2 immediately like blocking assignments or "assign" statement " (i need to synthesize it )

thanks

You aren't thinking about what your description (HDL) represents when it's supposed to be synthesized to hardware (HDL).

Here is what you are describing in your code...
Capture.PNG

That shorted in1 and in2 can't be implemented in hardware either using Verilog or Systemverilog. You need to understand if you want to synthesize logic you cannot just use V/SV like a "programming" language you have to restrict your usage to only synthesizable constructs that can be realized in a piece of hardware.

Shorting two outputs together does not work well in hardware as driver contention will burn out one or both drivers if they are at different logic levels. This is why there are tristate drivers, open-drain/collector drivers, etc to allow such shorted connections. In an FPGA there are no such drivers. So you can't write code like this (with multiple drivers) and expect it to compile.

- - - Updated - - -

I think it would help if you took a lot of simple HDL circuit descriptions for various basic code snippets like muxes, decoders, etc and synthesized each of them and look at the logic that is synthesized (schematic view) to understand how code is interpreted as logic. You've proven over many previous posts (including this one) that you need to work on understanding how synthesis interprets your HDL code and what logic it produces.

If you choose to disregard this advice, then you will forever be force to continually return here and ask questions on fundamentally flawed code.

Reactions: dipin

dipin

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
yes,

i got your point....multiple drivers.

thanks ads-ee

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back