Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Layout of Differential Opamp

Status
Not open for further replies.

Puppet123

Full Member level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I am looking for resources including books, papers or even a screen capture from Cadence of the layout of a fully differential opamp.

Most books talk about single ended but not fully differential opamps.

Looking for either folded cascode or a two stage opamp.

If anyone has any papers, notes, or a screen capture from Cadence that would be very helpful.

What are the special considerations for fully differential as opposed to single ended layouts of opamps ?

Thanks.

Looking for either folded cascode or a two stage opamp.
... a screen capture from Cadence that would be very helpful.
Here's a 10 years old screen shot from a fully differential two stage S&H OTA, with its sample, feedback and compensation caps:

sh_layout_outn_outp.jpg

Don't know if this helps a lot - without schematic.

What are the special considerations for fully differential as opposed to single ended layouts of opamps ?
Stringent symmetry.

Thanks erikl.

Any way you can include the schematic - if not, what architecture of opamp is this (two stage opamp?) and what do each of C1 thru to C7 do - that would help...

Internal schematic of 741 op amp. Screen shot of Falstad's simulator. The circuit can be found in the program's pop-down menu. I added a 220 ohm load at the output terminal.

www.falstad.com/circuit

741 internals with load (falstad).png

It contains:
* differential amplifier,
* current mirrors,
* output stage consisting of a half-bridge.

Green wires are positive polarity. Red shows negative polarity.

Any way you can include the schematic
I think that's still company confidential - even after 10 years time, sorry!

- if not, what architecture of opamp is this (two stage opamp?)
Right, 2-stage fully diff switched OTA.

and what do each of C1 thru to C7 do - that would help...

Top left caps C3 & C4 are compensation caps.
Top right caps C6 & C7 are serial connection caps from OTA outputs to CMFB input

Bottom C1 & C2 are the serial input caps
Bottom C3 & C4 are the feedback caps - all together they define the OTA gain (here: -1)
- they have to match very exactly

Bottom C5 & C6 are caps from the OTA inputs to vref

D are two dummies.

Thanks.

Are C3, C4 and C6, C7 MIM caps ?

What are the other caps, also MIM ?

Just rechecked with schematic: yes, all of them were MIM caps (type: cmim_sq ).

Hello erikl,

Thank you for your response,

Any reason one uses MIM Cap as opposed to MOS cap or MOM cap for analog / mixed signal layout for these capacitors ?

Thank you.

In contrast to MOS caps, MIM caps have negligible voltage dependency.

Same is valid for MOM caps, but due to their much thicker isolation layer they need a lot more real estate for the same capacitance.

Thank you erikl.

In your attachment (attached here again) you show the connection of the capacitor in what I assume to be a common centroid arrangement (the capacitors in the lower part of the figure).

I have seen many old layout books and papers show common centroid layouts of poly capacitors (I attached one), but you do you know of a book, paper or other resource that shows me how to do the common centroid layout of MIM capacitors ? I would like to know how to route and interconnect them properly when they are in a common centroid arrangement and cannot visualize it.

Thanks.

Attachments

• sh_layout_outn_outp.jpg
    sh_layout_outn_outp.jpg
    469.3 KB · Views: 112
  • Picture1.png
    Picture1.png
    292 KB · Views: 115

... how to do the common centroid layout of MIM capacitors ?
Why should there be any difference between the common centroid arrangement of MIM caps and that of any other device which needs high symmetry layout? - There is none, I think.

I would like to know how to route and interconnect them properly when they are in a common centroid arrangement ...
It is important not to disturb the high symmetry possible with common centroid layout by different lengths (capacitances) of the connection wires.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back