Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Opinion about quality control of original device vs same device available for OEM use

Status
Not open for further replies.

Michael Weaser

Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
The question is should the quality of the product be the same no matter on what it's branded as? For example the device is directly sold by the company that patented it , and than available as a generic item by the manufacturer. I have looked at reviews of both versions and other branded versions such as the maximal power fc999 and it seems like the generic version of the device has more problems than the original version, like for example the generic version not working correctly , batteries leaking especially non-chargeable ( which charger is designed to do) , and various other problems, and the original version sold by company that designed it, barely no problems at all. I am wondering if maybe the original company that invented it is more strict on manufacturing for their own product that they sell, also people could be buying the generic version instead of the viatek version since it is much cheaper,Plus there are other problems that people talk about as well. But that's only in a few of the generic versions, the good reviews of the generic product , are exactly the same as the viatek version.
The device I am talking about is the viatek renu-it series chargers, which recently I figured out you could buy it as a generic device from alibaba.com directly from manufacturer. I knew there there was a version by maximal power, but that is the only version that I knew of, and I didn't know you could order them from the manufacturer. Viatek has 3 versions of the charger , there is the original pro, a Jr. and the newest one that came out the deluxe version that I can't find on alibaba , probably because it was released in 2015 or so, and viatek didn't allow the manufacturer to do it as a generic product yet? I think the viatek product is a great charger for ni-mh and ni-cad, I don't use the feature that it says it can charge non-rechargeable alkaline ,I just don't want to deal with them leaking. I have never used the generic version of the viatek product.

information about these chargers:

Patent PDF -patent for the product by Lou Lentine , who is also the founder of viatek

**broken link removed** -Viateks own website for the renu-it pro and Jr

the rc999 , same as renu-it pro -Alibaba link for the rc999 product

the rc998, same as renu-it Jr -Alibaba link for the rc998 product

Maximalpower version of the renu-it pro - amazon link for maximal power version.

Hi,

No idea, that's above my level. As a consumer, I'd say that it feels like that is a hit and miss science - some generic things are surprisingly good, some are as bad as they were economical.

It would be business suicide to sell an excellent cheap version in the long-term - unless that were a ploy to sell a lot of cheap products, make bulk profit. Niche profit is more juicy, isn't it? - So having a reputable brand name and a cruddy generic twin would help to sell less but at a far higher profit with consumers seeking safety in reliable products they only need to buy once.

The understanding is one of pay more, get more and/or better quality. Surely the cheaper version uses the same schematic but dismally cheap and leaky capacitors and so on? If not, we should be demanding trade investigations around the world about what we're actually paying for.

Companies are quirky, if you understand me. I would think the best thing to do is make a technical request as a manufacturer with a possible production of x boards, and ask what the differences actually are. They may help you.

The next step past "generic" is "counterfeit" and the
alibaba venue has had kind of a black eye on that
subject in the past (whether fixed, or not, I couldn't
say). Even "generic" is iffy, who stands behind it, and
how well? Do they keep the same ICs but use cheapo
passives and second-rate PCBs? You'd have to buy
and tear down, to know (or find a review to trust,
among all the net.chaff).

Hi,

No idea, that's above my level. As a consumer, I'd say that it feels like that is a hit and miss science - some generic things are surprisingly good, some are as bad as they were economical.

It would be business suicide to sell an excellent cheap version in the long-term - unless that were a ploy to sell a lot of cheap products, make bulk profit. Niche profit is more juicy, isn't it? - So having a reputable brand name and a cruddy generic twin would help to sell less but at a far higher profit with consumers seeking safety in reliable products they only need to buy once.

The understanding is one of pay more, get more and/or better quality. Surely the cheaper version uses the same schematic but dismally cheap and leaky capacitors and so on? If not, we should be demanding trade investigations around the world about what we're actually paying for.

Companies are quirky, if you understand me. I would think the best thing to do is make a technical request as a manufacturer with a possible production of x boards, and ask what the differences actually are. They may help you.

There usually isn't a difference between the generic version vs the viatek version, are usually sold for the same price. But of course the generic can be cheaper and the original viatek can be more with some retailers, so the price is based on the retailer. I am going to contact the manufacturer and see if there is a difference in quality based on how much you order and ask questions about the quality of components, for different brands of the same products. I will get back to you , if they respond to me.

The next step past "generic" is "counterfeit" and the
alibaba venue has had kind of a black eye on that
subject in the past (whether fixed, or not, I couldn't
say). Even "generic" is iffy, who stands behind it, and
how well? Do they keep the same ICs but use cheapo
passives and second-rate PCBs? You'd have to buy
and tear down, to know (or find a review to trust,
among all the net.chaff).

well I actually contacted them, they are the manufacturer for the viatek product and yes its the same product. they told me there isn't any difference between any version , all of them are made on the same manufacturing line and branding put on later. all of the components are exactly the same , the PCB is the same, etc. So don't know why people have more problems with the generic version of the viatek product.

Reactions: d123

d123

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Maybe a case of first shift: branded product trained assemblers, QC inspection, and testing = $, second and third shift: unbranded product untrained cheap labor, no QC, and no testing = $$.
Also to avoid having a bone pile all boards in 1st shift that dont pass QC or testing end up as part of the unbranded stock.

Reactions: d123

d123

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back