Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Tracing internal signals in Modelsim

Status
Not open for further replies.

mjuneja

Advanced Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello

I am running a simulation of a digital design for Virtex 5 FPGA in Modelsim simulator (PE student edition 10.4a).

Currently I am able to trace all the top entity signals in wave window, however I want to trace the internal signals of the design as well,
which are not visible in the object window itself.

Although I can easily trace all the internal signals in ISIM.

So my query is, is this a limitation to Modelsim as a simulator or the student edition has these limited features.

Please provide your inputs.

You need to select the individual design modules in the object hierarchy to see its internal signals.

Selection in the sim window instance hierarchy:

sim.PNG

An easy way to add everything is from the console window:

add wave -recursive *

Thanks to both of you..

Both of these solutions proved helpful for behavioral simulation.

But if I am doing post layout simulation the names of all the internal signals changes.

So my query is there any way to trace these names back to the original names used in the source code (VHDL code.) so that relevant signals can be traced in the wave window.

If the design isn't too big, I normally do
add log -r /*
before starting simulation.
In that way, I can at any time add any signal to the wave window and see everything from the start of simulation.
It is also easy to arrange the wave signals for the current debugging needs.
If I have to make a change in the code and restart simulation, I first save the waveform window setup to a file, so I easily can get the same signals in the next run.

When adding everything to the wave window from the beginning, I find it much more difficult to do debugging, because a lot of non-interesting signals take space.

If the design isn't too big, I normally do
add log -r /*
before starting simulation.
In that way, I can at any time add any signal to the wave window and see everything from the start of simulation.
It is also easy to arrange the wave signals for the current debugging needs.
If I have to make a change in the code and restart simulation, I first save the waveform window setup to a file, so I easily can get the same signals in the next run.

When adding everything to the wave window from the beginning, I find it much more difficult to do debugging, because a lot of non-interesting signals take space.

In which file format do you save the waveform window set up, which can be recalled in the simulation run.

And second thing, as already asked in post #4, how do you relate internal signal names in post layout simulation to the original names in source code

In which file format do you save the waveform window set up, which can be recalled in the simulation run.

And second thing, as already asked in post #4, how do you relate internal signal names in post layout simulation to the original names in source code

In the waveform window, you click File -> Save Format
The default file name is "wave.do" and it is a text file with a lot of "add wave" commands.

The easiest way to get the waveform window back in the next simulation is to enter "do wave.do" in the command line.
Don't forget to "Save Format" again if you add more signals that you want in following simulation runs.

I have no solution to the post synthesis/post layout problem.
Why simulate post layout for an FPGA? It is only relevant if there is a bug in the toolchain.
The only thing I do post-synthesis is to insert chipscope and connect the interesting signals. Sometimes, the signal you want doesn't exist, or you can't find it.

Dear, for post synthesis and post layout simulations , the internal signals of the design are named according to the technology implemented so you need to check RTL and Technology implantation to check how signal names are changed w.r.t to your original design signal and registers declared in your HDL file.

For post-synthesis, the names might not exist any more. If you have specific nets you want to keep, you would need to mark them with KEEP, IIRC.

For modelsim can also be useful to use -voptargs="+acc"
however, I doubt this is useful for post-synthesis simulation.

For post-synthesis, the names might not exist any more. If you have specific nets you want to keep, you would need to mark them with KEEP, IIRC.

For modelsim can also be useful to use -voptargs="+acc"
however, I doubt this is useful for post-synthesis simulation.

"KEEP IIRC" property belongs to which process, I am using ISE design suite from Xilinx.

IIRC = If I recall correctly
KEEP = an attrbute you can directly apply in your HDL to tell the synthesis to keep your signal intact, including the name.

eg, in VHDL, you write the following:

Code VHDL - [expand]
signal sig1 : std_logic;

attribute KEEP : string;
attribute KEEP of sig1 : signal is "TRUE";

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back