Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Dose XSG can replace programming in VHDL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Serwan Bamerni

Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello everyone

I am working on XSG to implement my design on FPGA.

A few days ago, a colleague told me that I could depend entirely on XSG and that it doesn't give the compact code to Synthes on the FPGA

So, I just want to ask, is that correct? and is it impossible to replace VHDL programming with XSG?

If not, is there is any disadvantage of XSG?

and If yes, so why this platform is used by many designers?

thank you in advance

I did a quick google on what XSG actually is. If it is this: https://www.opal-rt.com/rt-xsg/
Then the answer is Yes, it can replace your VHDL coding. Looks like a library of blocks to use with Matlab HDL Coder.

As with most tools like this, they are fine to use until you need something thats not in the library. As soon as you need something different, you'll be back in VHDL again.

These systems are generally very good at rapid prototyping, but are not usually the best for producing optimal code. They are usually difficult to get working on custom boards to, and are aimed at dev cards.
And oh look, they also sell their own (probably expensive) custom hardware that works really well with their library.

xsg might also be "Xilinx System Generator". I don't have much experience with that either.

I did a quick google on what XSG actually is. If it is this: https://www.opal-rt.com/rt-xsg/
Then the answer is Yes, it can replace your VHDL coding. Looks like a library of blocks to use with Matlab HDL Coder.

As with most tools like this, they are fine to use until you need something thats not in the library. As soon as you need something different, you'll be back in VHDL again.

These systems are generally very good at rapid prototyping, but are not usually the best for producing optimal code. They are usually difficult to get working on custom boards to, and are aimed at dev cards.
And oh look, they also sell their own (probably expensive) custom hardware that works really well with their library.

Ah ok, I am sorry for the confusing. I mean by XSG is the Matlab Xilinx System Generator

regarding your answer, I hope that the explanation is ok for the Matlab XSG too

Status
Not open for further replies.