+ Post New Thread
    Member level 2

Helped
    0 / 0
    Level

Dose XSG can replace programming in VHDL

Hello everyone

I am working on XSG to implement my design on FPGA.

A few days ago, a colleague told me that I could depend entirely on XSG and that it doesn't give the compact code to Synthes on the FPGA

So, I just want to ask, is that correct? and is it impossible to replace VHDL programming with XSG?

If not, is there is any disadvantage of XSG?

and If yes, so why this platform is used by many designers?

thank you in advance

•   AltAdvertisment

Advanced Member level 5
    Achievements:
    7 years registered

Helped
    1954 / 1954
    Level

Re: Dose XSG can replace programming in VHDL

I did a quick google on what XSG actually is. If it is this: https://www.opal-rt.com/rt-xsg/
    Then the answer is Yes, it can replace your VHDL coding. Looks like a library of blocks to use with Matlab HDL Coder.

As with most tools like this, they are fine to use until you need something thats not in the library. As soon as you need something different, you'll be back in VHDL again.

These systems are generally very good at rapid prototyping, but are not usually the best for producing optimal code. They are usually difficult to get working on custom boards to, and are aimed at dev cards.
    And oh look, they also sell their own (probably expensive) custom hardware that works really well with their library.

1 members found this post helpful.

•   AltAdvertisment

Advanced Member level 3

Helped
    263 / 263
    Level

xsg might also be "Xilinx System Generator". I don't have much experience with that either.

•   AltAdvertisment

Member level 2

Helped
    0 / 0
    Level

Quote Originally Posted by TrickyDicky View Post
    I did a quick google on what XSG actually is. If it is this: https://www.opal-rt.com/rt-xsg/
    Then the answer is Yes, it can replace your VHDL coding. Looks like a library of blocks to use with Matlab HDL Coder.

As with most tools like this, they are fine to use until you need something thats not in the library. As soon as you need something different, you'll be back in VHDL again.

These systems are generally very good at rapid prototyping, but are not usually the best for producing optimal code. They are usually difficult to get working on custom boards to, and are aimed at dev cards.
    And oh look, they also sell their own (probably expensive) custom hardware that works really well with their library.
    Ah ok, I am sorry for the confusing. I mean by XSG is the Matlab Xilinx System Generator

regarding your answer, I hope that the explanation is ok for the Matlab XSG too

Advanced Member level 5
    Achievements:
    7 years registered

Helped
    1954 / 1954
    Level

Yes, it also covers Xilinx System Generator.

1 members found this post helpful.

--[[ ]]--