Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Need help in choosing right SCR

Status
Not open for further replies.

clicco89

Newbie level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi, I start this thread saying that this is my first post on this forum and that I'm not english so I could do some grammar mistakes.
I'm working on a coil-gun, here's the circuit:
Cattura.PNG
The problem is that I am not able to choose the right thyrsitor, I've tried with a BT151-650R, but it died.
I've measured the resistance through the fire circuit, and I got .2-.3 Ohms, then I calculated the max current I could get at 48V and I got 240 Amps.
Can you suggest me a cheap SCR which can meet circuit's specs?

Your circuit will damage the SCR by massively exceeding the reverse gate voltage rating. Need a series diode to block negative gate voltage.

Your circuit will damage the SCR by massively exceeding the reverse gate voltage rating. Need a series diode to block negative gate voltage.

Sorry I'm new in electronics world, what do you mean by "reverse gate voltage"?

Reverse gate voltage means Vgate-cathode < 0 which happens in your circuit. Gate is held at 9V, cathode voltage rises to 48 V, thus Vgk = - 39V.

Reverse gate voltage means Vgate-cathode < 0 which happens in your circuit. Gate is held at 9V, cathode voltage rises to 48 V, thus Vgk = - 39V.
So, if I've understood, I could use the same 48v as a source for the gate and remove the 9v battery. Am I right?

That wasn't my suggestion but should work, too, with useful increased gate resistor. My suggestion was to install a series diode that cut's negative gate voltage.

As for the SCR current rating, we should have a rough estimation of coil inductance to estimate I²t. Without any inductance, you get I²t > 200 A²s, exceeding BT151 rating of 50 A²s by a multiple. A SCR in the 25 to 35 A class would be able to stand the discharge pulse even without series inductance.
So you think this should work? https://docs-emea.rs-online.com/webdocs/0db2/0900766b80db29b7.pdf
And how did you calculate that I^2t value?

I could use the same 48v as a source for the gate and remove the 9v battery.
That wasn't my suggestion but should work, too, with useful increased gate resistor. My suggestion was to install a series diode that cut's negative gate voltage.

As for the SCR current rating, we should have a rough estimation of coil inductance to estimate I²t. Without any inductance, you get I²t > 200 A²s, exceeding BT151 rating of 50 A²s by a multiple. A SCR in the 25 to 35 A class would be able to stand the discharge pulse even without series inductance.

- - - Updated - - -

0.5 C V²/R

That's an upper limit. Real I²t is a bit lower due to coil inductance, if current flow stops at the current zero crossing.

My suggestion was to install a series diode that cut's negative gate voltage.
So I would have to place a diode between battery + and gate's cathode?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back