Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Cable television network as intercom system.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Prashantakerkar

Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Is it feasible to design and construct a Cable television network to be used as a intercom system?.

Similar to Cable Television channels for viewing - Video and Audio, Intercom phone numbers will be displayed for dialing, speaking and hearing (TV Microphone attached for speaking) , TV Speakers for Hearing.

Or some other technological enhancement in Cable network ....

Thanks & Regards,
Prashant S Akerkar

Hi,

Why not. If everything you see on your smartphone passes through coaxial cable at some point on its journey from transmitter to receiver, then an intercom should be possible with several provisos only you will discover if you research intercom design a little, videophones or whatever they're called, where coax is used and where alternatives make far more sense (space/bulk, transmission quality/speed, etc.).

I'm sincerely curious as to why a person would have a need to as there are so many videophone porters on the market you could copy rather than try to adapt an apple to function as a pear.

At the end of the day, asking such a vague question is a rather fruitless task, as are similar questions, if you don't mind me saying. Surely you have already compared cable TV and intercom technologies minimally before posting this question? ;)

Thanks.

Can it be achieved using Smartphone device for voice communication?.
I was thinking of integrating a Microphone and Speaker in TV remote control which can then be used for voice communications?.

Thanks & Regards,
Prashant S Akerkar

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks.

Do I have to design and develop a app for my Smartphone communication with the Dish Cable Setup Box ?.

Thanks & Regards,
Prashant S Akerkar

At the end of the day, asking such a vague question is a rather fruitless task, as are similar questions, if you don't mind me saying. Surely you have already compared cable TV and intercom technologies minimally before posting this question? ;)

Apparently not.

Cable TV has a strict channel plan, available frequencies not used for radio or TV are already allocated for internet and telephone service provided by the cable companies.

Technically, the cable topology uses directional couplers. There's no useable path between end nodes. If a return path is provided, it can only reach the head station, or an active gateway on the way.

Thank you.

Do you feel designing and developing a Smartphone intercom app can achieve this function?. i.e Every Cable subscriber will install the app on their Smartphone device.

Basically I want is whoever are cable subscribers should be able to communicate / collaborate using Cable Television as a network channel.

Do I require additional gateway device/s for intercommunication?.

Note : All Cable subscribers are already networked.

Thanks & Regards,
Prashant S Akerkar

Thank you.

Do you feel designing and developing a Smartphone intercom app can achieve this function?. i.e Every Cable subscriber will install the app on their Smartphone device.

Basically I want is whoever are cable subscribers should be able to communicate / collaborate using Cable Television as a network channel.

Do I require additional gateway device/s for intercommunication?.

Note : All Cable subscribers are already networked.

Thanks & Regards,
Prashant S Akerkar

Unless you can use the existing infrastructure of broadband cable modem technology, i.e. run this app using the internet, then you won't be able to do any of the stuff you are talking about as the regular cable TV programming network is NOT available for your app. Much of the traffic and, I believe, even the upstream communication channels are encrypted between a settop box and the headend.

The cable TV network is a network that is designed to send transport streams containing digital video and audio from the headend to the subscriber. The settop box can send control information back to the cable headend to signal things like pay per view selections or status. This network is proprietary and is not a user accessible network.

As Prashantakerkar != Tier 1 equipment provider, then your chances of having the functionality you desire added to a settop box approaches 0%. And if you try to "hack" a cable settop box you will brick it, they are designed to detect tampering/intrusion and automatically brick the unit.

- - - Updated - - -

If everything you see on your smartphone passes through coaxial cable at some point on its journey from transmitter to receiver,
Highly doubtful about this...

Base stations for cell phones use fiber to get on the network infrastructure...or perhaps you are referring to old rural areas that haven't upgraded from AMPs cell phones.

Really the only place coax cable is used in cable networks is to peoples homes. None of the network infrastructure uses coax to connect stuff it's all done with fiber. Sure there may still be a few pockets of coax being used but all this network upgrade stuff that has been talked about for years is because the providers have been laying fiber all over the place. The only place they haven't laid fiber is that last mile to everyone's house. Many companies have tried, but all stopped doing it (too cost prohibitive with not enough benefit).

Hi,

You may be right, haven't seen a tower up close and personal in a while. I was being banal - I meant the sometimes large diameter coax made out of copper pipe and foam to be found between radio antenna on tower and radio equipment in rack/base station. Clearly not the structured cabling from TV broadcaster to the millions of subscriber homes in a country.

Why I would want to buzz Mr. or Mrs. Smith's intercom via my mobile phone from the other side of the country I'm not sure, but if you write the word app after the name, I'll subscribe - and gladly pay the costly yet bizarrely technically inferior upgrade to Platinum client if that's a premium service to be offered, once the apps up and running.

Status
Not open for further replies.