Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Define 2 dimensional localparm in Verilog

Status
Not open for further replies.

pigtwo

Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello all,

I'm trying to define a set of coefficients for some DSP inside a FPGA but I'm running into a problem with defining the coefficients. I want a 1000 element array with each element being 18 bits. I'm running the below code:

Code Verilog - [expand]
localparam num_taps = 1000;
localparam coeff_scale = 16;
localparam signed[17:0] coeff[0:999] = '{0, 3, 5, 8, 9, 10, 10, 9, ...};

When running this I get an error this error:
Code:
ERROR:HDLCompiler:806 - "filter_coeff_15.h" Line 3: Syntax error near "'".

So it doesn't like the single quote for some reason but I don't understand why. My understanding is that this is how you would define an array like this. I use this code with Modelsim and it works perfectly. Why does ISE not like this?

I've tried removing the single quote and it seems to work but I think it's doing something weird and thinking this is a single 18000 element.

Is this valid Verilog? It works in SystemVerilog. I don't think SV was ever added to ISE. you might need to just make it a reg and initialize it in an initial block. That also might allow for initialization using readmem.

You're correct, it appears to be System Verilog syntax. I tried what you suggested by initializing it in a initial block and that worked. And you're right that readmem can do the same thing. Thank you!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back