Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

MMWave Cross Coupled CMOS VCO Layouts

Status
Not open for further replies.

Puppet123

Full Member level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello,

I want to layout a mmwave CMOS Cross Coupled (NMOS/PMOS) VCO.

I have questions about metal routing and the effects of the routing on the performance.

I have attached a few layout examples from papers about the cross coupled layout of the VCO.

In one of the papers, the routing is done by stacking many layers of interconnect and then routing on, what I assume, is the top metal of the process, metal 9. Is the advantage to this, the lower resistivity of the stacks of metals for better oscillator performance ?

In the other attachment, the layout of the cross coupled structure is shown. I also added another attachment showing the same thing - in both "M1" and "M2" mean the transistors and "OSC1" and "OSC2" mean the transistors of the cross coupled pair.

Here the drains are routed together on of the top metals, M6 while the drain of each finger is connected to the gate using metal 2, while sources are connected together using metal 1 to gnd.

So again, my question is, is it best to route the complete set of drain fingers together, just go all the way to a higher metal, like metal 6, or stack the interconnect on top of one another and then route on a higher metal layer.

Thanks.

Attachments

• VCO.png
    VCO.png
    130.7 KB · Views: 116
  • VCO2.png
    VCO2.png
    57.8 KB · Views: 109
  • VCO3.png
    VCO3.png
    128.5 KB · Views: 125

Connect the Gates and Sources with M1, create the Coil with lower resistivity metal.

Hello,

And then route the drain to connect to the coil (in my process its on the top metal).

So use vias to route drain from say M2 up to top metal, say metal 9 and then to inductors ?

Correct ?

Hello,
And then route the drain to connect to the coil (in my process its on the top metal).
So use vias to route drain from say M2 up to top metal, say metal 9 and then to inductors ?
Correct ?
Yes, right..

Dont I get losses in vias going up to top metal ?

Dont I get losses in vias going up to top metal ?
Yes, there will inevitably be losses but if you connect the transistors on top metal, the inductor/capacitor effects will influence the operation of the oscillator.It may not oscillate ..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back