Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

MOSFET vs IGBT loss, and advantages disadvantages?

Status
Not open for further replies.

asrock70

Full Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I do not have any experience with IGBT transistors, just about their suitability for high performance.
I can not really calculate switching and conduction losses at IGBT.
Could anyone tell me what transistors are more suitable for example
Full bridge, 400V , 25A , switching freq. up to 150kHz

First possibility NMOSFET IXFN132N50P3 500V 112A 36mOhm SOT227 price for 4pcs 60$
Second possibility IGBT FF200R12KE3 1200V 200A price for 2pcs 90$.

In particular, I am interested in conductive and switching losses on IGBT.
Next, any problems with IGBT driving.

Thanks for all.

Hi,
I can not really calculate switching and conduction losses at IGBT.
The conduction loss for any device (mechanical switch, MOSFET, IGBT...):

P_tot = U x I (during ON state)
(Where:
U is the voltage across the device during ON time
I is the current through the device during ON time)

If you have a PWM signal, then the duty_cycle comes into play. Where duty_cycle is the percentage of ON time in relation to the total time.

P_tot = U x I x dutyCycle

Usually you know the value of "I" of your application. Then with the use of "I" you should fing the corresponding "U" in the datasheet)

Try this and come back with the values and results.

BTW: Each IGBT manufacturer and each MOSFET manufacturer and each gate_driver manufacturer should have application notes about how to calculate the losses.
Sooner or later you should read through them. I recommend to do it "sooner" ;-)

Klaus

A quick look into the datasheet shows that the IGBT is not suitable for the operating frequency. In general, IGBTs are for low frequency, so you need to look into MOSFETs.

That voltage and current are within reach for eGaN FETs
too, which seem to not be on your shopping list. You
ought to be able to find FETs that are on par for conduction
loss and stomp MOSFETs / IGBTs for switching loss. The
bridge driver, though, could be a problem although there
are some.

Yeah I was going to suggest GAN as well. I was simulating GAN systems parts in a very similar application and was seeing 98%+ efficiency which I beleive.

GAN systems top side cooled parts look reasonably easy to work with. SI labs is the place to look for gate drivers.

Transphorm is another good GAN option at these power levels and a pretty easy jump for people familiar with silicon (since their cascade confuguration includes a low voltage silicon fet and they use standard packages)

Status
Not open for further replies.