+ Post New Thread
    Newbie level 6

Helped
    0 / 0
    Level

Difference between lumped matching and distributed matching of Rf circuits

Hi all,

i want to design a MMIC circuit using lumped matching network,operating frequency is at Ku-band( 14GHz) with a bandwidth of 1GHz,can anybody guide me whether lumped matching is a good option? ( as by lumped matching only i am able to reduce the size of the circuit)

What is the basic difference between lumped matching and distributed matching network ?

Which one is better for broadbanding ?

Regards

•   AltAdvertisement

Advanced Member level 5
    Helped
    1340 / 1340
    Level

Re: Difference between lumped matching and distributed matching of Rf circuits

-Lumped Matching is almost impossible @ 14GHz due to many reasons.( self resonance,dissipation factor,etc).
    -Distributed elements can also provide wide-band matching.

•   AltAdvertisement

Advanced Member level 5

Helped
    1349 / 1349
    Level

Re: Difference between lumped matching and distributed matching of Rf circuits

MMIC designs use almost exclusively lumped element matching. They get away from it since the parasitics on a MMIC integrated circuit are smaller than a similar lumped element matching network in microstrip.

In every case i can think of, lumped element is a better match anyway. Distributed element matching only works over a limited bandwidth due to transmission line effects.

1 members found this post helpful.

--[[ ]]--