Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Job losses due to move to North of UK.

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

treez

Hello,
We fear job losses due to company moving to North of UK..
My friend works in a Electronics/Manufacturing company in UK. Its in the South East of UK. They are “max’d out”….they have production orders which are way in excess of their capacity. That is, they have no space left in their present factory. They have few parking spaces and most of the staff can’t even park there at all. They need to expand to meet orders. As such they need to move to new premises as there is no room to expand in their current location. However, the Business & Industry Dept of UK Government (plus some other private industrial funding syndicates) have said that they will not financially back any move into new premises unless the new premises are in the North of UK, where property prices are four times less.
The Company doesn’t want to move to the North of UK.
Do you know if there is any way round this?

They can always 'bite the bullet' and move anywhere if the cost of premises can be afforded but obviously it is more profitable to minimize outgoings.
Regional development grants are an incentive to bring new business to areas of high unemployment or where other businesses have closed down, leaving empty buildings that should be re-used.

Trying not to look nationalistic, the UK is four countries and each has it's own development policies and grant schemes. The north of England isn't the only place to move to, there are closer options in South Wales for instance, 2 hours drive from London/Birmingham and with excellent air, rail and sea connections. I would advise them to look elsewhere, there are probably better options more suited to the workforce while still allowing the expansion they need and without sacrificing connectivity. The M4 corridor in S. Wales for example is full of new, large factory units, has an abundance of trained labor, low costs and undoubtedly can offer a better quality of lifestyle than most of the SE England.

I should point out that I am a local Councillor but on the NW coast of Wales and I have no direct connections with S. Wales or any other UK regions.

Brian.

Status
Not open for further replies.