Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

ESP8266 Interface with Arduino

Status
Not open for further replies.

shreyasry

Newbie level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello all
I am trying to use esp8266 for my project work but i cant seen to set it up and start using . Have gone through many tutorials but i still cant seem to get it right
currently im following this
https://medium.com/@cgrant/using-th...ino-uno-publishing-to-thingspeak-99fc77122e82

but im getting stuck at creating a connection
when i try to create a network using

Code:
AT+CWJAP="Water"+"Water"

i get

AT+CWJAP="WATER","WATER"

+CWJAP:3

FAIL

can you tell me any solution or any better tutorials to follow
im currently running

Code:
AT+GMR

AT version:1.3.0.0(Jul 14 2016 18:54:01)
SDK version:2.0.0(656edbf)
compile time:Jul 19 2016 18:44:44
OK

the above version

The first quoted string is the SSID of your wireless router, the second is your password to access the router. For example:
AT+CWJAP="MySSID","My Password"

On my system the SSID is "PanteidalNet" because that's the name I programmed into my router. I'm not telling you the password!

The error code means it was unable to establish a connection to your router, either the SSID or password or both are wrong. Words of caution: if your router has good protection, it will use a "white list" of MAC addresses allowed to connect to it. If that is the case, you will have to log in to the router and add the MAC address of the ESP8266 module to it before it will allow it to log in.

Brian

why do you all persist in using an esp8266 with AT commands ?
it's 100x easier using it as a complete normal arduino with the arduino IDE.
you can even program it over the air (OTA)

Kripton2035, many people, myself included, use ESP8266 modules but have never owned or used an Arduino. The ESP8266 has it's own lx106 processor on-board and can be used with any kind of external processor or none at all.

For many purposes the "AT" command set is all that is needed, it allows client or server applications to run and can make a very effective FTP data link.

Brian.

the OP is using an arduino AND an esp8266-01 module. that's a waste of processor.
he can only use the esp8266 and nothing else. so the AT commands are better replaced with the arduino IDE and a serial cable (the same he programs the arduino with)

why do you all persist in using an esp8266 with AT commands ?
it's 100x easier using it as a complete normal arduino with the arduino IDE.
you can even program it over the air (OTA)

+1 for this suggestion, particularly because I am adept of this solution in some of my projects, but one of the drawbacks of ESP8266 is the limited number of available pinouts and peripherals (PWM, A/D, ...) and in some cases, its use is just about integrating an additional resource into an existing project based on another microcontroller, anyway I concur with your suggestion of considering this module standalone operating as CPU instead of operating as a shield in the case of a new project.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back