Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

altera fpga update from remote

Status
Not open for further replies.

franticEB

Full Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,
on my board there is a pic uController and a ep4ce6 fpga (with epcs4 flash attached).
They communicate with spi interface.
The uC is the master and fpga is the slave.
When i want to change something in vhdl design i change epcs4 image through uC SPI interface because pins used (DCLK,Data,ASDO and Flash_nCSE/nCSO) by FPGA to program itself from epcs flash, at board's startup, becomes general purpose pins after device configuration is complete.

With this method i can update fpga by uC but i have to turn off and on again the board power supply in order to reconfigure in right way the fpga.

I want to implement a remote update method using IP core ALTERA_REMOTE but i don't need a factory and application image, i simply want to change the boot image and reconfigure fpga from uC dedicated command (internal register).

Is it possible to use only the signal reconfig in ALTERA_REMOTE ip and not watchdog etc... to reconfigure the fpga? I need to manage other IP input signals?

Let me know.

If you have a µC connected to the FPGA, you can simply pull down NCONFIG line to cause a reboot after updating the EPCS flash and don't need ALT_REMOTE IP.

Nevertheless it's possible to use the ALT_REMOTE reconfig command if you want to trigger it from the FPGA logic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back