Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Capacitors and resistors shown as OPEN and SHORT in Schematics design

Status
Not open for further replies.

jimmykk

Full Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi
I am designing a wireless power Transmitter circuit and mostly following this datasheet for Wireless transmitter IC :- **broken link removed**

In the BOM table on Page 28-29, there are several capacitors and resistors which are shown in the Application Example Circuit but in BOM, there are marked as "OPEN" So i was wondering that if this "OPEN" means same as DO NOT MOUNT. Also the resistor and a common mode choke are marked as "SHORT". Are they shorted? Example for open and short :-

cclmp.PNG
rosc.PNG
Here COSC1, COSC2, CCLMP, RCLMP are marked as OPEN in BOM with no values
while ROSC, COM_CH is marked as SHORT

I would GUESS, as you did, that OPEN=Do Not Install, and SHORT means add a wire or a zero-ohm resistor or something. Regardless, this is pretty poor practice.

These might also be notes regarding DC analysis, or
elements that are representing parasitics, if they come
from an IC design source - presistors netlist as shorts,
pinductors as shorts, pcapacitors as opens for connectivity
checking purposes.

I have mostly left the resistors and capacitors marked as OPEN in that schematics as Do Not Mount in Mine Schematics. The only exceptions are CSOUT, COSC1, COSC2.
While ROSC is replaced with a wire and COM_CH with a choke P0420NL.
One question more is that the Pin 5 of uC ML610Q772 marked as RX-D and GPIO pins(8-11) of TX IC are defined as heirarichal ports or something, but i cannot find where they lead to as there is no other schematics other than that or are they intentionally left like that.
gpio.PNGrx-d.PNG

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back