Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

High Speed Motion Sensor

Status
Not open for further replies.

sakibnaz

Full Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi. I want to detect a very high speed object via Sensor. Example a bullet shot. Sensing distance can be 30 Feet around. I know PIR Motion sensor but that will be slow for this application? Is there any other better option to detect fast motion?

My main need is detect fast motion and capture photo by Camera via USB Command.

Any advice please?

Thanks in advance

What you need is just an optic barrier sensor, nothing more complex than that. At one side, a light emitter device and on the other side a photo-detector; It is assumed that there will be sufficient distance between the point of detection and the point of the image capture; It is also assumed that the camera you have chosen is adequate to deal with such object's speed and the effect of its movement during the sample period of the image in the vision sensor.

According to bullet speed in a 1000 m/s range, you need camera with µs aperture time for sharp imaging.

Thanks all for reply. Yes, I am also thinking of laser sensor.

My bullet example may not be a proper case. But in generally I wanted to detect faster motion objects. Just asking instead of PIR is there any other choices?

Thanks.

Just asking instead of PIR is there any other choices?

Did you read above replies? you've been informed that the type of detection by optical barrier is the one that seems to be the fastest you can achieve, and if that was not what you expected, at least let us know what aspect of that solution do not suit for your original question:

I know PIR Motion sensor but that will be slow for this application? Is there any other better option to detect fast motion?

A mid/far IR sensor like PIR would be used if you specifically want to detect thermal infrared radiation. It's not really clear how it's useful for your project. PIR sensors can be made with different bandwidth and respective detection speed, but thermal noise sets an upper limit depending on the object temperature.

You must define some specs:

{ object speed in m/ms, camera trigger latency and capture time, possible range offset for sensor trigger.}

This defines the required light beam switch rise time or latency for laser beam interruption at a certain distance. in [us] = distance offset / speed/

Thanks all for reply. Yes, I am also thinking of laser sensor.

My bullet example may not be a proper case. But in generally I wanted to detect faster motion objects. Just asking instead of PIR is there any other choices?

Thanks.

An ordinary camera is a good motion sensor. You can use it and later process the images.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back