Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[SOLVED] X5R, 1uf Ceramic Capacitor Max survival temperature

Status
Not open for further replies.

AzharElectronics

Junior Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I am using TDK Part# C1005X5R1V105K050BC (Description: CAP CER 1uF 10% 35V X5R 0402) and it specification says as operating temperature is -67°F(-55°C) to +185°F(85°C).

Can anyone please let me know:
1. What will be its max survival temperature ? (not mentioned is datasheet)
2. What will happen it I subject same capacitor to +221°F(105°C) ? (Reliability and Functional Point of view) (Cap is connected on non-critical digital line of 5V)

Hi,

In future please give a link to the datasheet or upload it - it saves our time you may expect more and faster response.

I´d say the datasheet is very clear in this:

* operational temperature limit: 85°C
* non-operational peak temperature limit: 260°C, Time : 5±0.5s. This is in the soldering specifications.

Klaus

"Survival temperature" isn't a well-defined term, which is why you can't find it in a datasheet.

Assuming you don't have any issues due to thermal expansion of the PCB (which the capacitor manufacturer can't know), the main symptom you'll see at high temperature is increased leakage current and poor insulation resistance. This effect, and how much of it persists after cooling down, will depend a great deal on the bias voltage and humidity at the time. For a supply bypassing capacitor this may not be an issue, but that depends on your application.

you can run them hot - but they may not last - the thermal cycling - if not at a constant 1o5C - is what will get them in the end - unless soldered with soft solder - the bigger packages, >>1206, have flex tab ends to allow for this ...

basically the pcb expands and the chip caps don't - if you get a match for thermal expansion - then you are on a winner

also derate the caps so the current thru them does not cause too much self heating ( 100mw say for a 1206 part)

good luck ...

I am using TDK Part# C1005X5R1V105K050BC (Description: CAP CER 1uF 10% 35V X5R 0402) and it specification says as operating temperature is -67°F(-55°C) to +185°F(85°C).

2. What will happen it I subject same capacitor to +221°F(105°C) ? (Reliability and Functional Point of view) (Cap is connected on non-critical digital line of 5V)

Operating temperature is the temp. range the cap can be operated at, if there is a storage temp range then the cap can be stored at those temps but not powered, quite simple really isn't it. If you operate a component outside of it's temp range then expect problems.

- - - Updated - - -

Operating temperature is the temp. range the cap can be operated at, if there is a storage temp range then the cap can be stored at those temps but not powered, quite simple really isn't it. If you operate a component outside of it's temp range then expect problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.