Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Replace MOSFET AO4433 With FDS6679

Status
Not open for further replies.

brunobox99

Newbie level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Good day guys. This is my first time posting, hope you can help me a bit with this.

My Sony Vaio laptop from 2009 has two damaged AO4433 MOSFETS near the power supply connector. I want to replace them, but I can't find this exact model in my city. I have an old laptop motherboard (for spare parts) that has some FDS6679 MOSFETS that I can use.

Can I replace the damaged AO4433 with the FDS6679?

Thank you very much in advance for your help.

If you look at the data sheet, they look pretty similar. I don't think you have anything to lose by trying it. Without knowing the actual circuit they're going in, this is just an educated guess.

If you look at the data sheet, they look pretty similar. I don't think you have anything to lose by trying it. Without knowing the actual circuit they're going in, this is just an educated guess.

Thanks for answeing, barry. Sadly, there are no schematics for this Sony Motherboard.

What's the worse that could happen? Would they blow?

I think the AO4433 have a slightly higher power rating, but it probably won't matter. If it were me, I'd try it. The worst that could happen is that they blow and you're back where you started. But, you don't know if there's some OTHER thing wrong that caused the original parts to fail...

Thanks barry. I will swap the MOSFETs tonight, and will post here the outcome.

yes you can replace it blindly but you must have to check there is no short circuit in the motherboard.

Hello brunobox99,
I agree with Barry's assessment in regards to using the alternate MOSFET,
BUT you really should follow what iamkamalrandhawa has said, as his
suggestion is the most important.
Just check the continuity between the Drain and Source of the pads prior
to you installing the substitutes. It would also be good to check across any
bypass capacitors that are attached to the voltage input.
Regards,
Relayer

Status
Not open for further replies.