Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to calculate stopband attenuation for Chebyshev bandpass filter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monzerje

Junior Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi
I have designed a Chebyshev microstrip bandpass filter for frequency range (27.5 - 31.2)GHz and according to my specifications the stopband attenuation should be higher than 30 dB. May I know how to obtain that from the graph?

Capture.PNG

Well, you don't show enough of your frequency range but it looks like your stopband attenuation is about -19 db.

Stop-Band attenuation is given by an offset frequency.For instance..
-30dB att. 1GHz off-set from center frequency..

Well, you don't show enough of your frequency range but it looks like your stopband attenuation is about -19 db.

May I know how you find it -19dB?
Capture.PNG

- - - Updated - - -

Stop-Band attenuation is given by an offset frequency.For instance..
-30dB att. 1GHz off-set from center frequency..

Can you be more precise please?, or if you have links explaining that would you provide them please.

Great, now you don't show the out of band signal; it's somewhere off the bottom of the chart. Maybe it's 70 dB, maybe it's 1000000000 dB. But you can see it's greater than 30 dB.

Great, now you don't show the out of band signal; it's somewhere off the bottom of the chart. Maybe it's 70 dB, maybe it's 1000000000 dB. But you can see it's greater than 30 dB.

Is the label position correct? and how it is grater then 30dB since the obtained value is -66dB?
Capture.PNG

Is the label position correct? and how it is grater then 30dB since the obtained value is -66dB?

Why did you place the marker at that frequency? To evaluate the stopband attenuation value, you need a specification for the stopband frequency range first.

Before using a tool whose output you don't understand, it would be better to study some technical literature.
The terms used to specify a filter can be found in every good filter book. Or read the user manual of the software.

Why did you place the marker at that frequency? To evaluate the stopband attenuation value, you need a specification for the stopband frequency range first.

That's why I am asking about it, because I do not know how to find it from the graph

- - - Updated - - -

Before using a tool whose output you don't understand, it would be better to study some technical literature.
The terms used to specify a filter can be found in every good filter book. Or read the user manual of the software.

I already checked, most of them are using the transfer function method which is very long process if I want to do it for many graphs

Hi,

That's why I am asking about it, because I do not know how to find it from the graph
stopband attenuation are two values:
* the (expected, given) attenuation
* the frequency.

You need to have one value to find the other.
It´s impossible to find both.

Read through this:
https://www.dsprelated.com/showarticle/164.php
and see the graphs that describe the terminology.

Klaus

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back