Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

declaring a constant value for all modules in verilog

Status
Not open for further replies.

dipin

Full Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
hi,
i had some 40 nos of 32 bit constant in a verilog module used for some calculations. i am replicating this module for some 10 times.
so basically i am repeating the values in all the modules and wasting resources. so is it possible to declare it only once and use it in all the 10 modules.
10 instantiations are from the same module.

i declared it like this.
reg [15:0] mem [0:40];
so instead of repeating like this in all modules is it possible to declare only once and use it in all the 10 modules?

how can i do it? if it do so will it reduce the logic utilization?

any help is really appriciated

thanks and regards

Constants known at synthesis time are inserted in each expression separately. The definition method doesn't affect the logic or memory utilization. It's only a question of effective code writing.

In the System Verilog world, packages are a suitable way to define global constants (as in VHDL since ever).

In plain Verilog, including constant definitions is probably the best way.

Reactions: dipin

dipin

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
hi,
so if i use some compiler directive like `include (or some other way)and include all of my constants,

it won't help me to reduce my logic utilization right?
while elaborating, it will assigned in each module separately ... is it?

thanks

Yes. There are however some cases where array constants can be more effectively implemented as initialized block ram, e.g. when multiple constants are muxed to a single target.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back