Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[SOLVED] Simetrix/Simplis Elements help

Status
Not open for further replies.

mentorima

Newbie level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Good Evening,

I am looking for someone who has more than my novice level of knowledge on Simetrix/simplis Elements software.

I am trying to construct a Bridge rectifier using an ideal transformer at a ratio of 10:1 or any transformer to work at a 10:1 ratio with an AC RMS input of 230V 50hz.

I keep getting 10 individual primary transformers to 1 secondary which is not exactly what I want.

Is there anyone who is competent in the community to point me in the right direction?

Thank you in advance

Here is a typical transformer and rectifier setup. You can play with the values to suit your needs.

Attachments

• mains_tx.png
    mains_tx.png
    82 KB · Views: 304
Thank you for the pointer.

Does the waveforms generate when you click the simulate button or do I have to add in probes?

I have to measure:
Load and ripple voltages
Current in the Capacitor
Current in the diode.

The desired Values I have to use are 230V rns @ 50hz, 10:1 ratio Transformer, 25 Ohms Resister and 1000uf Capacitor.
I noticed you added ground points but I do not know if I have set them currently as it didn't produce an error when I ran the simulation.

circuit.png

The software sometimes will complain about floating nodes and convergence, so I usually place large resistances referenced to the circuit GND. You can place fixed probes or probe a device pin or current in wire, etc. You obviously have to set up your transient simulation parameters first.

Be aware that the default diodes are small signal types (IN4148). Better change them to suitable rating diodes as far as voltage and current.

I have come up with a fault, One which you have previously mentioned about a floating node but something about check TX LB pin. Please see attachedFAIL.jpg

The error message is mentioning two possible reasons, floating nodes or voltage source shorted by inductor. I guess it's the latter due to zero transformer series resistance.

How would something like this be rectified?

The error message is mentioning two possible reasons, floating nodes or voltage source shorted by inductor. I guess it's the latter due to zero transformer series resistance.

- - - Updated - - -

Consider the tool requirements, add a little bit transformer series resistance.

Go to transient advanced options and tick "Skip DC bias point" and it should work.

YES! It's now coming up with a done complete :D

Hopefully I just need to input some voltage and current probes and it should show the graphs and results or is that within the transient options also?

- - - Updated - - -

I may of sorted it. Am I correct to say, if I use a voltage probe and enough time in the transient during the simulation the voltage graph will appear and if I want current, I need to select current in wire for a current graph to appear also?

- - - Updated - - -

After a bit of messing about, I manage to whittle it down to show the correct graphs! Thank you for your help. I really couldn't of completed it without you!

Status
Not open for further replies.