Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Biasing the transistors in folded cascode with CMFB and current reference

Status
Not open for further replies.

deveshkm

Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
connect_output_CMFB.png

Hi,

Please comment on the above biasing methodology for PMOS transistors
At the top (folding point) I have biased using simple current mirror (PMOS) with the current reference designed for reducing temperature variation.
The current mirror is easily implemented as source terminals are at Vdd.

Obviously , the current through upper and lower PMOS pairs carry different currents.
For the lower PMOS, I have biased using CMFB (split transistor)

Is it okay to NOT bias the upper PMOS BUT the lower PMOS transistors using CMFB?

No. Lower PMOS devices are cascodes. You should bias them with a fix gate voltage like the NMOS devices and control the upper PMOS devices with the common-mode amplifier's output.

No. Lower PMOS devices are cascodes. You should bias them with a fix gate voltage like the NMOS devices and control the upper PMOS devices with the common-mode amplifier's output.

The upper PMOS carry more current than the lower PMOS as some current is drawn by the amplifying transistors
Hence, in such circuits , is it possible to design a cascode current mirror to bias the PMOS pairs?

Possible but nobody does this. You can control the gate voltage of the cascode to push into triode the upper PMOS, and it can change the current. Not a good way.

Possible but nobody does this. You can control the gate voltage of the cascode to push into triode the upper PMOS, and it can change the current. Not a good way.

Okay.
Now I am using two CMFB blocks .
One for each PMOS pair (upper and lower)

Don't control the cascodes (lower PMOS devices), it was the point.

Status
Not open for further replies.