Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

$20K acceptable for MOSIS?

Status
Not open for further replies.

snoppypane

Newbie level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello,

Some inquiries about MOSIS. I heard of it mainly in the context of student course work/research institute.

1. How long does it take to make a chip, from placing the order to delivery?
2. What is there cost per batch? Is $20K enough for minimum?
3. Does it make at its own facility or outsourcing to like TSMC? If they make at their own fab, does it mean in general they are behind major fabs for some few years in technology because they generally cannot have as good equipments as the big companies?

snoppypane

1 - depends on technology. newer nodes take 5 mos, older nodes maybe 1 month.
2 - doesn't work like that. you have to buy a specific area. for some processes you can buy an area as small as 1x1, for others you need to buy as big as 5x5.
3 - lol. MOSIS is not a foundry. MOSIS is a broker.

2) old tech, one-month time, 1x1 area, could you please give me a quote range?
3) so MOSIS might send design to fabricate at either of the big fabs(TSMC/SMIC/Global foundaries, etc.)? These companies have different tech libraries, so does customer need to negotiate with MOSIS on which one to use before submitting?

3.1) I am curious, as leading fabs are very big companies and hires tens of thousands people, and have branches in major areas. What makes MOSIS so famous (to many like me) even as some synonym chip fabrication? What makes it so different from other possiblly many brokers (just google, it shows so many...)?

2) old tech, one-month time, 1x1 area, could you please give me a quote range?
3) so MOSIS might send design to fabricate at either of the big fabs(TSMC/SMIC/Global foundaries, etc.)? These companies have different tech libraries, so does customer need to negotiate with MOSIS on which one to use before submitting?

3.1) I am curious, as leading fabs are very big companies and hires tens of thousands people, and have branches in major areas. What makes MOSIS so famous (to many like me) even as some synonym chip fabrication? What makes it so different from other possiblly many brokers (just google, it shows so many...)?

2) You need to contact MOSIS for specifics, I can't discuss details of my purchases with them. Roughly speaking, with $5-10k you may get a batch of packaged chips in TSMC 65nm or older.
3) You pick the foundry and process. MOSIS supports several. You still need to sign NDAs with the actual foundries to get access to their technology. MOSIS is just the middleman.
3.1) If you are in the US, the simple answer is YOU HAVE to go with MOSIS. They have no real competitor right now in the MPW business so everyone uses theirs services. Actual foundries don't want to interface with universities, it's not worth their time.

You can use Europractice from outside the EU. It's not as cheap as $5k-$10k though! Pricing **broken link removed**

What die area were you getting for that sort of price?

Is that just academic pricing, perhaps?

Last edited:
I am just try to learn it and to get an idea of how the making works.

You can use Europractice from outside the EU. It's not as cheap as $5k-$10k though! Pricing **broken link removed**

What die area were you getting for that sort of price?

Is that just academic pricing, perhaps?

1x1 in 65nm technology is around 5-6k, with slicing/packaging it might go up to 10k ish.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back