Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[Moved]: Capacitive touch rookie needs advice on choosing IC for touch buttons.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Simon-Pedersen

Newbie level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
This is problem

I am currently in a project, where the end product needs to implement 3 (binary)capacitive touch buttons in the final product. The buttons have to be attached to the bottom of a 15.3 mm thick glass panel which is 8 cm. in diameter due to safety reasons.
This is what I have done so far

• I brushed of on the theory of capacitive touch sensors.
  • I tried implementing the touch sensing using the CTMU unit of a pic24fj128Ga204 mcu. I got the CTMU unit up and running but was quickly able to conclude that the sensitivity of the unit would require a very big sensor(touch surface) to comply with specs which was not a viable option.
  • I Have searched various vendors(Farnell, Mouser, Digikey and RS components) for an IC which could live up to specs.
  • I have read microchips QTAN0079 Capacitive touch sensor design guide.

This is what I have found so far

I found two IC's which might work:
  • CY8CMBR3002 which according to their datasheet says can sense touch through glass panels of 15 mm of thickness which is on the verge of specs, but might be allright.
  • Atmel AT42QT1245 which according to their datasheet can sense touch through glass panels of 50 mm thickness but comes in a 32 pin packet with the capability of implementing 24 touch buttons, which is overkill given I only need to implement 3.
This is what I am looking for

I would like to find a IC which could live up to specs with a minimum of pins, but is not overkill i.e. does not have the ability to implement 24 buttons. My experience with touch capacitive sensors is at a minimum and any advise from someone more experienced would be much appreciated.

Re: Capacitive touch rookie needs advice on choosing IC for touch buttons.

Hi,

15.3 mm is thick.
and then the active sensor area is restricted to the size of a finger.
Not much capacitance to expect.

to increase the capacitance you may use some condictive material on the finger side.

For test purpose you may use a copper foil and some two side adhesive tape.

For sure the active area on the sensor side should be equal in size.

If you are free to choose optical sensors instead of capacitive, then check how automatic wiper detects rain drops on the front screen.

Klaus

What about the AT42QT2120 ? It's specified up to 15mm glass, but perhaps could work for your application.

It's a 20-pin chip for 5 standalone mode keys, or 12 in comms mode.

Status
Not open for further replies.