Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Is there such a thing as an online BOM processor?

Status
Not open for further replies.

matrixofdynamism

Advanced Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
The BOM contains list of parts that shall be used to assemble the application PCB. It will aslo contain the manufacturer part number and package type.

Is there service where a person can upload their massive BOM spreadsheet, it shall then check the distributor website e.g digikey, RS e.t.c and then generate data stating which distributor can provide the part, the cost and if it is in stock for all distributors? Certainly this will make it easier to order parts for assembling a PCB rather than having to manually go through each component in a huge BOM and search for it on each distribution website.

Closest I've seen (not being anything but an occasional,
casual PCB "designer") are some of the distributor-coupled
design tools. Which only (of course) look at whoever's
providing that tool. And this is not spreadsheet, but
schematic driven as I make it out.

Usually this is where you toss the BOM.xlsx file over the
e-transom and let Purchasing figure it out.

Apparently there is no global standard to classify the devices from a common nomeclature which could be used as search filter fields on the distributors websites - although they make it very similar in different vendors. If there were this, it could be possible to send a BOM with a format which could be interpreted by simple scripts on supplier's sites. When I worked on circuit design, I created extra fields in the device library that contained as many details as possible (Package, footprint, Voltage, Speed, etc...etc...) as well as vendor's stock link, and generally gathered into a few ones (eg, Digikey, Newark, etc ...). This is not exactly what you are looking for, but at least that way it would be possible for someone to look for similar parts if there were no longer stock there.

Ok, what you are saying is that we use custom fields in the schematic or the library part itself, which shall define details of how to order it like manufactuer name, part number e.t.c and then when we generate a BOM from the specific tool we are using, it will be written into the BOM automatically. However, the process of checking which supplier has the part is stock is not automated at this point?

When making the same parametric part search on different suppliers (eg Digikey and Newark) we can see from the URL that appear at the browser`s address bar, that the query portions of the HTTP word are quite different, indeed there is no clear logic behind it, I would expect to see descriptive keywords there. This is a good opportunity to make contact with the technical support of some of these suppliers to know what automated tools/interfaces they can offer in that sense. I believe that this would not be a filthy claim, on the contrary, those suppliers who turn easy to post orders by automated processes would have the preference in the view of the consumer purchase department. The only drawback I see on their side (if the tool was available to the general public) is that in case of a cyber attack this could overload the system, because the tool as it is currently available requires only the human interaction to click on each filter.

Hi,

Is there service where a person can upload their massive BOM spreadsheet, it shall then check the distributor website e.g digikey, RS e.t.c and then generate data stating which distributor can provide the part, the cost and if it is in stock for all distributors?

I haven't tried it, but findchips.com have a "Upload BOM" button just besides the search field?

/c0x

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back